My car was damaged at a recovery depot - but the company won't make good the damage?

My car was recovered from France to the UK after an automatic gearbox failure. The vehicle was "dropped off a forklift truck" at a storage depot run by Nationwide Assistance Group in the UK while waiting for transfer to a gearbox specialist. The front and sides of the car were severely damaged. Nationwide has told me that they will not pay more in compensation than the pre-accident value of the car (about £2K). The bodywork damage repair bill will be a great deal higher than that. I'm very fond of the car and want Nationwide or the RAC to make good the damage to it. I do not want to claim through my Motor insurance because 1) I shall incur a no-fault claim on my insurance record 2) the two insurers will not agree to paying for the repairs in excess of the pre-accident value. What other avenues are open to me? For example, should I claim through the Small Claims Court? I want the vehicle back in the same condition it was in before.

Firstly, if you claim for damage, it will automatically go on CUE the underwriting database. When making a claim, unless the vehicle is very special, the at-fault parties liability lies up to the market value. Though there is a case called O'Grady v Westminster that does allow a claim at more than the market value. I would be providing a proforma invoice at the cost of repairs and submitting a claim via the small claims court.