Does my car need a new timing belt after five years?

My local Audi dealership wants to change my Q3 timing belt at five years. It has only done 29k miles. Surely the belt is dependent on miles rather than time. I was thinking of about 40k miles? Do you agree?

Asked on 3 July 2019 by Brian Roberts

VWG is imposing variously a five-year rule on some timing belts and a four-year rule on the belts in 1.0 TSI and 1.4 TSI petrol engines. We say timing belt engines need a replacement timing belt, tensioner, waterpump and aux belt every five years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first unless manufacturers stipulate an earlier change, which they may do in contravention of whatever was originally written in the service book.