Is there any benefit to changing our car insurance should one of us die?

My wife and I, both 71, own two cars. We very occasionally drive the other's car, but it's rare. Historically the insurance (Saga, with a long and protected NCD) and reg docs for both cars is in my name. 'Main driver' is properly disclosed on our insurance. We've been having the 'what happens when one dies' conversation. Is there any benefit in changing things so that the Jazz is registered in her name and the insurance is put into her name? Or are we opening cans of worms?

Asked on 24 June 2019 by

It should make no difference to be honest. Saga generally credit the other partner with the no claims accrued. Your policy for the car that your wife drives as the main user, should already be set up as so. Otherwise you have the policy for her car set up incorrectly. You cannot be the main user on both cars if your wife is driving the other vehicle as a main user. It may well make it simpler to put the details in her name.