A dealer won't refund my deposit but the website says I have the right to cancel - what can I do?

I saw a car on a dealer's website. I spoke with him and he asked for a deposit to hold it until I inspected it, which I did within a few days. He said that the deposit was non-refundable. His website states, "Under the Consumer Contracts Regulations (2015) for distance sales only, you have a right to cancel an agreement in writing within 14 days and obtain a refund". He now refuses to refund my deposit. What does the law say?

Asked on 24 June 2019 by Simon Thorpe

If the website states that, take a screen grab of the wording and suggest to him that either he refunds your deposit or you meet again in the Small Claims track of the County Court. Law here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/