Is the Ford Powershift gearbox reliable?

I am a fan of the Ford Galaxy - I am currently driving my fourth manual model. However, I am thinking of changing to an automatic as I get older. What are Ford automatics like?

Asked on 19 June 2019 by Steve Watson

Like a wet clutch DSG, the 6-speed wet clutch Getrag Powershift in the Galaxy requires a change of transmission fluid every three years or every 38,000 miles whichever comes first and if they don't get this they are prone to failure. Since the current model was introduced in 2016 they have had 6-speed torque converter autos and these were replaced in late 2018 with 8-speed torque converter autos, identified by a rotary selector.