Can we have a family insurance policy to protect both our no claims?

My husband and I are both retired and do not need two cars now. We have separate insurance policies and both wish to preserve our no claims bonus to cater for the situation of the demise or incapacity of either of us, so if we took out a family policy would that protect the no claims of both of us?

Some insurers will credit you with the partner's no claims should they pass away. The best way of moving forward is to alternate the main driver on the policy. Your no claims are valid for three years, so you can rotate between you. You could go to a family policy, but in my opinion, the other way is better.