What tyres will give good grip and feel but also a better ride?

I have a 2016 Skoda Octavia vRS TSI owned from new, with 18k on the clock. The Bridgestone Potenza 225/40 R18 tyres have 2 or 3 mm tread left so will need replacing soon. I'd like to replace them with tyres that give me just as much grip and feel, but with a better ride perhaps - probably an impossible feat?

Asked on 31 May 2019 by Nick Ingram

The tyres need replacing now, not when they reach the legal limit. Your problem is the 18-inch wheels. If you want more compliance in the tyres you need smaller wheels. You can fit 7.5J x 17 ETS wheels and 225/45 ZR17 tyres. Maybe Continental SportContact 6. Check Tyres On The Drive (bit.ly/2ZlEVaR) and Blackcircles.com (bit.ly/2JM6bqG) for sizes and prices and read our Tyre Buying Guide (bit.ly/2wsFHBU).