I have received £8500 fines for driving in a congestion zone in Italy - what do I do?

I have received a bunch of fines for driving in a ZTL (congestion zone) in Italy. I am aware that by law Italy can take a year to deliver the fines. Will they sell my debt to an international recovery agency so as to take me to court in England and affect my credit rating or not? The fines amount to £8500. I didn't realise I was in a restricted area 44 times.

I'd check with the Italian Consulate that the fines are genuine, but I think they probably are. But if you committed the offences, you are liable, you were traced back via the DVLA through the reciprocal agreement and if you don't pay the penalties could be enforced via a UK court.