Once a car has been written off - how long can you hold onto a hire car for?

Once a car is deemed a total loss can your hire car instantly be taken back without an offer of settlement or even any acknowledgement from the insurance company?

Asked on 20 May 2019 by Tracey

Depends on whether it is a "fault" or "non-fault" incident. Fault depends on your contractual wordings with your insurer. Non-fault, you are entitled to the use of a hire vehicle until which point you have received payment and generally another seven days after.