I bought a used car from a dealer but after just two weeks it needs expensive repairs - should this have been picked up?

I recently bought an 8-year-old car from a national chain. The car has a full main dealer history and is in generally very good condition. There were a number of minor issues with the car that they promised they would rectify, but when I got home realised that they had not. When I had the car serviced two weeks after purchase the garage noted that the front suspension dust covers were split and would soon require replacing, at a cost of £450. Should this have been picked up and rectified by the selling dealer as part of their inspections?

That is an MoT failure, so straight back to the dealer who sold you the car and demand the dust covers be replaced or that they take the car back and refund your money. Your rights: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/