Is insuring a car that's a Cat N write off more expensive?

Is insuring a Cat N vehicle more expensive and if so so by what percentage? My vehicle was hit from behind at low speed (about 10mph) with very little damage sustained. It has been deemed a Cat N write off. I'm considering keeping the car (taking the insurance company offer) and then passing it to my son in a couple of years. I don't want to do this if the insurance cost is going to inhibitive.

t makes not the slightest bit of difference. It may well be the car is not a total loss, retaining salvage on a 'constructive total loss' may well put you in a financially worse situation as the insurers try to con you by advising they will deduct the salvage value from the settlement. If the repair costs are less than the market value, the car is not a total loss. Request a full copy of the insurers Audatex assessment (not the summary version). This will detail what is required to repair your car and the cost. If the repair cost is less than the market value, request a cash in lieu settlement from your insurer. This should be for the full cost of repair inclusive of VAT. That way, you still have your car, the insurance policy continues, the car is not a total loss and has no category attached.