My BMW is going to be recalled - can I insist on a similar replacement while it's off the road?

I have been advised that if my BMW 5 Series fails the test on the latest recall, that due to a shortage of replacement parts I might be furnished with a Vauxhall or similar from a rental company. The delay I am informed could take a minimum of six weeks. Can I insist on a similar BMW to my own?

Asked on 5 May 2019 by

No, because the size of the recall means there aren't any. You'll get a Vauxhall from Enterprise. You could, of course, use Small Claims to sue for the difference in value (or difference in monthly payments) between your 5 Series and the Vauxhall you get. There will probably be some kind of system in place to compensate you anyway.