What is better over a six-year period - leasing or buying?

What is better for cost over a six-year period - leasing or buying? I'm looking at a small hatch like Volkswagen Polo or Honda Jazz.

Asked on 9 April 2019 by Roy Britton

What you do is you write down the deposit. Then you add the total of all of the monthly payments. Then you compare that amount with what you can buy the car for at a discount. If comparing a lease with a PCP, same thing: deposit, plus total of all the monthly payments and then add the guaranteed future value (GFV) and compare that total with a discounted cash price for the car. Whether you lease, PCP or buy you will still have to service the car every year, buy tyres and brake parts and fix any damage.