Will modifications make my son's car more expensive to insure?

I have purchased a 2011 Ford Fiesta 1.6 petrol Zetec S that my son will insure when he passes his test. I do realise this will be expensive - quoted £1600 - nearly as much as the car. However, I am concerned about some modifications the car has, will this affect the insurance?

It has a rear spoiler with third brake light, 17-inch black alloy wheels, twin tailpipe exhaust, smoked rear lights and tinted rear windows. The last thing I want is to try and insure with these items still in place and find it is too expensive to insure or them come and inspect and detect non-declared modifications and then cancel his insurance.

Asked on 13 February 2019 by Tony

Firstly, I would not have bought a car for your son prior to passing his test, It can lead to temptation. Excluding the rear spoiler with brake light is standard, everything else you have mentioned is a modification and will make the vehicle virtually uninsurable. If any of the glass is tinted, if it is film, it is a modification. The onus is on you to make sure the vehicle is standard if insured as such.