What's the definition of 'main driver' when getting insurance quotes?

It's coming up to my insurance renewal and I'm getting the usual quotes. One question I always struggle with is when they ask who is the main driver. I and my wife are named on the policy. My wife drives the car on more occasions than me to town or to work but when we go on longer journeys, including to the continent, I drive. So in terms of miles covered I am the main driver and in terms of the number of separate journeys, she is the main driver. We both have a clean driving history so what difference would it make?

Asked on 12 February 2019 by gasengineer

Your wife is the main driver. The main driver is the main user of the vehicle, i.e, the person who uses it more regularly.