I bought a Cat C write off - is the dealer legally obliged to inform me what damage was caused?

I recently purchased a 2007 Vauxhall Astra knowing it was a Cat C write off. The problem is the garage didn't show me evidence of what damage was caused, just that it had had a shunt from behind. Was he legally obliged to show me documentation, i.e if there was any structural damage? I'm concerned that if I was in a collision the car would not stand up to it.

Asked on 12 February 2019 by lee adamson

If they made you aware it was previous total loss, there is no obligation for them to do any more than that. It comes under "buyer beware" - the onus is on you to carry out reasonable checks. You can, however, arrange for an independent engineer to inspect. Try Contacting AIA assessors www.aia-ltd.co.uk/