Is a hybrid any good for towing?

I am currently driving a BMW 320d and am due to change. I cannot afford the new model 3 Series, however I could afford a pre-registered current model. I have also considered a C-Class Mercedes, the petrol/diesel hybrids in particular. The current 3 Series hybrid is apparently not homologated for towbar fitment. Should I consider either of the Mercs or stick with a 3 Series diesel?

Hybrid cars are generally not good for towing. The Prius is Type Approved to tow, but only a small weight. I think 750kg. There has been trouble with the charge control units on 3 Series hybrids and Countryman PHEVs. (That's the gizmo that controls the amount of charge being introduced to the hybrid battery while it's being re-charged.)