What is the right thing to do in practice in a yellow box junction?

Near me, there is a yellow box junction of length 45.5m. The Highway Code rule 174 states that (except for turning right) "You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear." This implies that one should not enter the box at all until all other traffic has cleared it. However, if the rule were observed in practice, because of the resulting necessary large distance between vehicles moving very slowly, traffic flow would be impeded to such an extent that large jams would quickly build up. As a result, traffic ignores it. My question is, what is the appropriate thing to do?

Asked on 27 January 2019 by Tim.uk

It's the standard 'Catch 22' that has existed ever since box junctions and this rule were imposed on us. If you want to avoid a ticket, never enter the box junction unless you have an escape route. So if you want to go straight and the traffic in front comes to a halt, but there is room to turn left, turn left and get off the cross-hatching so you aren't stranded on it. Then find a way back to your route.