Considering the concerns over identity theft, is it wise to pass on all the service history when I trade in a car?

I am considering trading in my car. In the past when I sold a car privately I passed on the service history together with bills, records of payments etc. In view of current concerns over identity theft is it still wise to do this, particularly to a garage, where I do not know where the information may go? Will it prejudice the transaction if I don't provide the information?

It's up to you. Some dealers, particularly those who will trade out the car, will simply ditch it. The more sensible ones will regard is as very valuable. You could give a phone number with the service book offering the file of invoices to anyone who buys the car.