I am unable to drive due to ill health - can my wife still use my insurance?

I have two cars registered in my name, with my wife as named driver for past 30 years. I am now unable to drive due to ill health. Do I need to change car ownership, in order to allow my wife to get insurance? Even if we have to change car ownership, what is best option for my wife regarding our car insurance policy?

Asked on 7 January 2019 by phil

Answered by Tim Kelly
The vehicles can still be in your name, you do not need to change ownership, but she would need to be insured as the main driver. What I would look at a multi-car policy or family policy. See if you can still insure in your name using your no claims, but as your wife as the main driver, that way she can still benefit in using the no claims. Then see if you can be removed from the policy if you have to hand your licence in at a later date. The alternative is to speak to your current insurer and see if they are happy to continue insuring on the premise of her being the main driver.
Similar questions
Six years ago my son and I had full no claims on our cars, but when I got married my husband talked us into taking multi-car insurance out with Admiral. We were assured that we would all still build up...
My wife and I each had a car insured under a Direct Line multicar policy. We are both named drivers on each others policy. I recently sold my car and haven't found a replacement so told the insurance company...
My husband and I are named drivers on each other's insurance policies. My husband may get a driving ban, what do we need to do about the policies? I can take him off mine but the other car is in his name....


Value my car