Daily savings: Nextbase dash cams under £100; Garmin Sat Navs for under £80 | No thanks

Is my car clever enough to recognise that most of my driving is around town and remap its engine management accordingly?

Is my Polo GTI clever enough to recognise that most of my driving is around town and remap its engine management accordingly? If so, how can I get out of this mode when I want to return to using maximum performance on the open road?

Yes, the ECU will understand the relatively low revs and stop/start nature of driving in traffic. If there is sufficient charge in the battery it will also cut the engine when stationary. However, get out onto an open road and, as long as you are using 99RON Super petrol, it will deliver peak performance. (On 95RON petrol, performance will be 5%-10% down.)