306 HDi Clutch Change - RichardW
I'm going to help my mate change the clutch in his 306 HDi 90 in a few weeks. Anybody done it and got any handy hints? I think it uses a standard push clutch rather than the TD's pull type, and maybe a hydraulic actuator? Also going to get the front wheelbearings changed at the same time, but we'll be taking the hubs to someone with a press to actually change the bearings. Does the HDi still use that inlet housing on the back of the block, so beloved of failure on the XUD, and should we change this as well?

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
306 HDi Clutch Change - Screwloose
Richard

Don't forget that if it's post 2000 you may need to fit a new dual-mess flywheel as well. Solid-flywheel conversion clutch kits are available from various suppliers.
306 HDi Clutch Change - mss1tw
Can you name one? Been trying to find out about these for a while now! Mine seems OK, but it pays to be prepared with the necessary knowledge. It's got the tell tale squeak when you turn the engine off sometimes.
306 HDi Clutch Change - RichardW
Thanks Screwloose - it's 2000W, so might fall either side. Is there a way to tell if it's dual mass or not (other than getting the 'box out!)? Presumably it needs a different clutch if its D-M? What signs it's failing, or is it a case of new flywheel if it's D-M. It's done about 140k, no reason to believe it's not on the original clutch.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Richard

Might not have one, particularly on a 90, so check the chassis number with your local dealer's parts dept first to be sure.

Usual reports are typically; "there was a squeak for a while; then it vibrated at idle and then there was this huge bang with steam everywhere!"

If the clutch housing has gone missing; the gearbox is on the road and the engine bay looks like it's been hit with a TOW missile you can usually reckon that's what the problem is...
mss1tw

If anyone does one, it'll be Valeo; 01527 510755 I think it's called a "Kit 4." [Shades of Knightrider...] LUK might be worth a google too.

Not all the Hdi's have them; most of the "exploded" ones seem to be later 110's. Might be possible to retro-fit the earlier solid type.
306 HDi Clutch Change - mss1tw
Thankyou Screwloose, I'll give them a ring when I ge 5 minutes.

Mines a 51 plate, one of the last made. Not sure if that will have any influence on whether it has a dreaded DMF or not...