Nissan Micra 1998 - Dim Main Beam - westburry

Hi

The main beam on the passengers side of 1998 Nissan Micra is dim. All the other lights are working fine. I swapped the light bulb from the drivers side, to check it wasn't the bulb,

and that was also dim. I checked the earth connection although I imagined the earth was Ok since the other lights are Ok. the earth connection was Ok although I cleaned them anyway.

Could anyone tell me what the amperage should be for the bulbs I thought it would be max 15amps. Would I be right ?

The voltage was around 11.2V with the engine at standstill.

Also could anybody advise what the problem could be ?

Thanks

Patrick

Nissan Micra 1998 - Dim Main Beam - Cyd

Is that batteery voltage or voltage at the bulb?

If the former that's low, battery needs charging (or it's knackered).

If the latter, what is battery voltage (and hence voltage drop from battery to bulb)?

What voltage with engine running?

55W bulb, 12 volts, so about 4.5 amps.

Nissan Micra 1998 - Dim Main Beam - elekie&a/c doctor

Check the fuses and contacts in the small engine bay fuse box,next to the battery.Any problems here can cause issues with the headlights.

Hi

Thanks for your reply....

I''ll check them out....I had a quick look and they seemed Ok....but I'll check for any dodgy connection around that area.

If the dip connecting wire and main beam connecting wire were swapped around in the bulb connectors could that possible cause problem ?

I haven't done anything with the wiree myself but I noticed theres being something done in the past with the wiring around that area.

Thanks

Patrick

Nissan Micra 1998 - Dim Main Beam - Peter.N.

Check the voltage between the lamp earth and a known good engine earth - there shouldn't be any or at least very little, if you have more than about 0.25 volt you have a poor earth connection.

Nissan Micra 1998 - Dim Main Beam - Simon

As daft as it sounds check that it is wired up correctly. If the feed and the earth get reversed you lose voltage to the bulb even though it still lights up reasonably. Sometimes you will find a small trace voltage on the high beam side too if this is the case.

Hi All

Thanks for your replies.....

i'll try all you have advised.

Patrick