Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 2012 model - Which diesel - Tally

Hi

I have just bought a 2012 Audi Avant A4 2.0 TDi and want to know which diesel to use. I have option of supermarket or BP, Shell premium which is a bit more expensive is it worth it

Thanks

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 2012 model - Which diesel - Collos25

Whichever is most convenient at the time.

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 2012 model - Which diesel - thunderbird

In the handbook and possibly the fuel flap it will say to use fuel that only meets BS EN590. All diesel sold in the UK has to meet the requirements of BS EN590. All cars sold are designed to run on BS EN590 diesel.

We have been using Supermarket fuel almost exclusively since the mid 80's and have never had a problem. We only fill with branded fuel if its more convenient or we are on holiday, no supermarkets within 30 miles of our lodge. I can honestly state that none of our cars has driven better or done more mpg on branded instead of supermarket.

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 2012 model - Which diesel - 72 dudes

The words "can of worms" and "open" spring to mind.

You'll find more opinions on here than brands of diesel.

Some people use supermarket fuel with absolutely no problems, others say that by using BP Ultimate or Shell premium, their car runs smoother and does 0.03 more MPG.

The consensus seems to be that all fuels including supermarket brands, have to reach a minimum standard and have certain additives. Some believe the branded fuels have more additives.

The days of seeing BP or Shell tankers emptying their contents into a supermarket filling station seem to be over, but it doesn't mean the liquid inside them isn't the same.

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 2012 model - Which diesel - skidpan

The days of seeing BP or Shell tankers emptying their contents into a supermarket filling station seem to be over, but it doesn't mean the liquid inside them isn't the same.

A few months ago a fuel tanker pulled off the Total forecourt down the road from us. I followed it into town and it pulled into the Asda filling station. Asda was 4 pence a litre that day for fuel from the same tanker.

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 2012 model - Which diesel - madf

A few months ago a fuel tanker pulled off the Total forecourt down the road from us. I followed it into town and it pulled into the Asda filling station. Asda was 4 pence a litre that day for fuel from the same tanker.

I would buy any diesel at 4p a llitre....:-)

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 2012 model - Which diesel - craig-pd130

As an experiment, last year I used Shell V-Power diesel exclusively in my 2011 Volvo V60 for 10 successive fill-ups (i.e. about 6,000 miles).

Compared with the previous 10 fill-ups (mostly Shell Fuelsave), I gained just over 1mpg, or an economy improvement of about 2.5%. This offset about 4p of the additional 8p per litre cost.

The frequency of DPF regeneration etc wasn't noticeably different.

My personal recommendation is, stick to 'ordinary' diesel from a busy filling station that sells a lot of fuel.

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 2012 model - Which diesel - Roly93

In the UK as many others have said I have never found any real discernable difference in diesel.

However in France I noted a very marked drop in MPG when I used ultra cheap Carefour supermarket diesel as opposed to Regular Shell diesel from normal roadside filling stations.

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 2012 model - Which diesel - A3 A4

For what is worth I regularly walk my dog past a Murco fuel terminal, tankers of all fuel brands and supermarkets refill there.

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 2012 model - Which diesel - jst008

The days of seeing BP or Shell tankers emptying their contents into a supermarket filling station seem to be over, but it doesn't mean the liquid inside them isn't the same

Tankers have more than one compartment & the fuel that is dispensed into them will have various lotions & potions added just before it is dicharged.

The way supermarkets are making more from their fuel or the reason they can sell it cheaper is the proportion of biodiesel that is added. This attracts less duty than fossil fuel diesel so the more BD you have the less duty you pay, but if you charge the same the balance is proffit.

Any diesel engine say >10 years old will run on anything, >2 <10 a little less so & <2 more care is needed in freezing temperatures. This is more applicable to the Euro V engines.