vauxhall astravan 2003 1.7dt - Starts, but no power steering. - sparky100

Hi, i have owed this van for about 5 years and never had a problem. Today i made a journey of about 25miles.I turned off and when i tried to start it the battery was almost flat. I then jumped started it and it started alright. When i went to drive away i had no power steering at all. I thought the belt had gone. No lights on the dash came on. After a few hundred yards the steering came back but the gauges were going up an down. It then settled down and i drove the 25 miles home ok.

When i arrived i turned off and tried again all ok. I had a spare battery so changed it over and it started ok, when i tried to steer it, i had no power steering again and also the battery light came on. I haven't had time to investigate further but wondering if any one out there has any ideas.Thanks. Sparky 100.

vauxhall astravan 2003 1.7dt - Starts, but no power steering. - elekie&a/c doctor

The power steering on these is electro/hydraulic.If the battery charge voltage is too low it will not operate.I would suggest that you have a problem with the alternator.Get the charging system checked.

vauxhall astravan 2003 1.7dt - Starts, but no power steering. - sparky100

Hi, i've just taken the alternator off to have a look, and there is only two wires connected. The main one which must go to the battery and a small wire which i assume goes to the battery light on the dash. Is this right, because i thought there are three cables normally. On inspecting the main connection to the alternator it seemed to be a bit corroded but i don't think this is the problem.. Thanks.

vauxhall astravan 2003 1.7dt - Starts, but no power steering. - 1litregolfeater

Low fluid? On the DTI the cylinder is hidden behind the engine. It takes the green stuff not the red. CHF 11S from Comma.

And the alternator may not be pumping out full juice, commonly one of the diodes in the rectifier bridge fails in a Hitachi alternator. Check it with a multimeter, but if your headlights look yellow instead of white, you kind of know already.

vauxhall astravan 2003 1.7dt - Starts, but no power steering. - TeeCee

If a diode's blown, you only get power half the time as half the bridge rectifier does nothing.

Shading the dashboard and looking carefully should reveal a dull glow from the ignition lamp as it lights 50% of the time.

Not many people can fix much any more. We seem to have become a society of idiots.

You won't get far with talk of diodes, most of them think the oil pressure light is a warning light.