Ford Focus Estate - Front wipers, a bit of an unusual condition - Englishbullterrier

Hi all, maybe one for HTH or Eleckie doctor ? (sorry if name's wrong).

Had my 1.8Tdci 2003 Focus for about a week. I know that this problem was on the car when I bought it, but I accepted it as it's really no hassle.

The front wipers work well on normal and high speed, with the exception that when they park, they over-rotate slightly and rise (only) about 40mm from the bottom park position. (40mm measured at the tip of the left hand wiper).

However, when I use the single sweep mode (pressing down on the lever), the wipers stop when I take off downward pressure. Can be anywhere on the screen. I can use more downward pressure on the lever to complete the sweep and park them by removing the pressure.

I would have thought the park mode was a common system across the board ? So, anyone have any ideas ? Maybe the steering wheel switch assembly or a relay ?

(Additional info is that wash works on front and rear wash wipe work fine).

Ford Focus Estate - Front wipers, a bit of an unusual condition - Englishbullterrier

Maybe for elekie&a/c doctor :-)

Ford Focus Estate - Front wipers, a bit of an unusual condition - elekie&a/c doctor

I would think the problem is a faulty park relay.It is located in the cabin fuse/relay box behind glovebox.It is one of the smaller type relays and if I recall it is the one that can,t be replaced unless the fusebox is unbolted and moved back because the metal support frame is in the way.Ususally a black or grey colour.

Thanks very much for that. I'll get under it and let you know.........ebt

(Hmm...unbolting fuse carriers, think I'll disconnect the battery)

Edited by Englishbullterrier on 01/03/2013 at 08:33

Yep, absolutely right (so far).

Went to a breakers this morning.

It's R162, front wipers, which is the right hand one of the pair, BEHIND the frame. The left hand one is R64, for the rear wiper.

So, took them both, identical anyway, (£2.00) and will repace into my car tomoz hopefully.

Will update.............ebt

Well, b***** me !

Put the replacement relay in, and the fault was exactly the same.

I then swapped over the rear wiper and front wiper relays, and all is fine and dandy.

Seems the relay I got from the breakers had the same fault !

Anyway, all done now.

Thanks............ebt