Ford Galaxy - Strange Tyre Blowout - AlexT

I had a tyre blowout a few days ago, driving on a nice road, withut hitting a pothole, tyre was a riken I bought last year from ATS EUROMASTER, this is only the second winter it's been used (it is a winter tyre).

Took a photo of one of the holes in the tyre : www.freeimagehosting.net/jd62r

My question is: is it normal that the hole is this straight? Has someone cut my tyre? Am I doing something wrong?

Ford Galaxy - Strange Tyre Blowout - Bobbin Threadbare

Yes your tyre can split like that. Sometimes there are faults in them. You might have rolled over something sharp.

You can also get splits when tyres get really cold, then really hot. Rubber is a bunch of long chain molecules!

Ford Galaxy - Strange Tyre Blowout - TeeCee

You may have hit a rock or pothole earlier which broke the reinforcing belts, leaving a small carbuncle which went unnoticed at the time. This then bursts later at its leisure. The straight hole would suggest a creasing of the belts in that area at some time.

If that's the inside wall, it wouldn't be noticeable at the time without jacking the thing up and carefully inspecting the inner wall for damage while rotating the wheel. The only other indicator might be a bit of vibration, but there could easily be none.

Ford Galaxy - Strange Tyre Blowout - madf

Did that myself in a Rover 800 (the shame) hitting a kerb at 20 mph...

Ford Galaxy - Strange Tyre Blowout - gordonbennet

Suspect kerb or other impact damage.

Though that is exactly the type of blow out one can expect if a nail or similar goes through the tread angled towards the sidewall, every revolution of the tyre lets that nail head take another slice out of the inner wall, this is exacerbated by people stuffing puncture gloop into the tyre and carrying on instead of getting it looked at.

Ford Galaxy - Strange Tyre Blowout - AlexT

Thing is this is the third time this has happened, in a 12 month period. The first time was last christmas, on a motorway in germany, and the second time was on a country road, and the third time was on a country road as well.

Here's a pic of the second tyre, can't find the first tyre at the moment : www.freeimagehosting.net/mhuwb

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Ford Galaxy - Strange Tyre Blowout - brum

That second tyre has a load rating of 91 (615kg) which is underrated. The Galaxy requires "reinforced" or "extra load (XL)" tyres - a minimum load rating of 95 IIRC as factory fitted (and stated in the manual). Standard load tyres will not do, and is probably the reason for the blowouts. Also running on non reinforced tyres is illegal and will invalidate your insurance as well as being dangerous.

Edited by brum on 22/02/2013 at 14:01

Ford Galaxy - Strange Tyre Blowout - gordonbennet

The second tyre especially has seen a lot of kerb contact, worn through the writing and part way through the sidewall in places, looks like it might have seen underpressure use too exacerbating the problem.

Bound to have caught some sharp edges during all that contact period.

Agree with Brum though, XL tyres needed, but if you continue to rub against kerbs a lot then such damage is inevitable, unless you get an old school 4x4 with huge tyres which will take the punishment.

Edited by gordonbennet on 22/02/2013 at 14:19