Carelessly opened doors? - Robin
This morning I very nearly removed the driver's door of a car parked by the side of the road. The door in question suddenly opened giving me very little time to react but fortunately I managed to stop in time. The road is quite narrow with parked cars on either side and is very busy since it the main access to the hospital is on it and it also has a lot of businesses along it. Thus, I was fortunately travelling quite slowly. I think I would have hit the door if I had not managed to stop (since the road is narrow you have to drive quite close to the parked cars).

Now, this got me thinking: if I had bashed the door who would have been responsible. I had always thought the person opening the door was to blame (for not looking properly) but is this true?

Carelessly opened doors? - Trisha TR
Yup the person opening the door would be to blame. The onus is on them to check that the way is clear for them to open the door.

This situation is particular hazardous to cyclists - I nearly got cleared up by some buffoon opening the door without looking. Peddling away at over 20mph I was a couple of feet away from the parked cars (so may have missed the door) but swerved to avoid the ar$eh0le. How I stayed on the bike I don't know - came away with soiled shorts, and a sprained wrist.
Carelessly opened doors? - Shigg
Did anyone happen to see the Police camera series where a motorist stopped on the hard shoulder of the motorway so close to the white line that when he opened the drivers door a passing tank transporter ripped it to bits?

On the same note my brother wrecked a Morris Minor when as he was passing it in a single car transporter (Ford D series I think), the passenger opened his door (it was parked facing traffic flow), the transporter just shoved the door and pillar into the front wing.

Steve.
Carelessly opened doors? - Cliff Pope
I agree, they are a menace. people seem to think that if there are shops in the street they are entitled to fling their doors open without thinking or looking.
I usually give offenders a loud blast, to draw attention and 'educate' them. I don't know if it does any good though.
Some people do it even on foot when they want to get back into their car. They march out into the road and expect to comandeer a 3 foot wide strip to open their door into.
Carelessly opened doors? - Dwight Van Driver
Yes indeedy Robin it is an offence:
Reg 105, Motor Vehicles (Con & Use) Regs 1986:

No person shall open, or cause or permit to be opened, any door of a vehicle on a road so as to injure or endanger any person.

DVD
Carelessly opened doors? - chris p crisps ©
My wife had this happen to her some years ago. it was the passenger of the parked car that opened the door in front of her,but she did not manage to stop before taking part of the door off and a large dent in her front wing.The out come was that the other vehicles insurance paid up in full even though it was his passenger to blame.

chris
Carelessly opened doors? - keithb
>>The out come was that the other vehicles insurance paid up in full even though it was his passenger to blame.

I believe that all insurance policies cover passengers for 3rd party claims resulting from their negligence. May be a Road Traffic Act requirement but I'm not sure.
Carelessly opened doors? - slefLX
Did anyone happen to see the Police camera series where a
motorist stopped on the hard shoulder of the motorway so close
to the white line that when he opened the drivers door
a passing tank transporter ripped it to bits?

As i understand it, if you're stopped on the hard shoulder aren't you supposed to exit the car via the passenger side anyway?
Carelessly opened doors? - Vansboy
How's this for a good idea-NOT!
A couple of years ago we were offered 20, 8 month old 1-2000 milers, left hand drive Combo vans, from the RoyalMail.
They were used,on trial, by Postman Pat,to save him getting out of offside doors, to empty the mailboxes!
Time & motion job, or driver/road safety, you choose!
I didn't buy them & they didn't buy any more, either!
Mark
Carelessly opened doors? - Kevin
Vansboy,

there maybe something I haven't thought of here, but why are LHD delivery vehicles such a bad idea ? Getting out onto the pavement rather than the middle of the road sounds safest to me.

RHD golf carts been used by US Postal Service for quite some time now.

Kevin...
Carelessly opened doors? - Vansboy
Main problem would be the lack of visibility, for the driver, under more normal driving conditions.It would take some time to get used to a LHD vehicle.
I agree, the idea itself, is good.
Mark
Carelessly opened doors? - Kevin
Mark,

I have a LHD car and it's pretty much 'swings and roundabouts'.

In a convoy of traffic it's a big advantage because everyone else tends to drift over to the right leaving me a clear line of sight down the inside. I can usually see at least half a dozen cars ahead whereas the guy in front of me can only see one or two.
On motorways/dual-carriageways it gives you at least two/three seconds extra reaction time if there's any problem ahead.

The biggest disadvantage is parking. Having to get out of the car to collect a ticket at automatic barriers or pay at collection booths is a pain.

All things considered, I actually prefer LHD for my daily commute.

Kevin...
Carelessly opened doors? - Andy Stanhope
Wasn't there a formula 1 race last year where the safety car had to come out and the driver opened the door for some reason only for a race car to go straight into it and tear it off?? I seem to recall the safety car was a rather nice mercedes........
Carelessly opened doors? - Sherwood
Who do you claim from if it is the passenger getting out of a taxi? I know someone to whom this happened I say you claim from the the taxi driver.The taxi driver said it was not his fault and drove off.