Top Gear - julie page

Who here watches it?

Who is finding it increasingly boring?

I like the road races were they choose different cars although some of the tasks they do are silly, but they choose cars that few people can afford and it becomes quite pointless unless your 15. Equally watching them skid around race tracks in cars that I unlikely to ever see unless I go to a car show is getting stale.

How about testing some cars like the Nissan 370, or the Mercedes SLK and others.

Hiding the ID of the stig used to be funny but now who cares.

Top Gear - jamie745

but they choose cars that few people can afford

Oh god not another one. How many times has this criticism been levelled? A diesel Skoda Octavia may make thrilling television both to watch and make if you're an accountant - or Avant, who I believe is an accountant - but those three are not accountants.

How about testing some cars like the Nissan 370, or the Mercedes SLK and others.

They did, when those cars came out. They tested whether the Army could shoot a Boxster or an SLK more times round an army training course.

Top Gear - Auristocrat

"but they choose cars that few people can afford"

Doesn't this provide some escapism for people who are bored with the cars they can afford.

If we wind the clock back to the Top Gear format that tested cars people could afford, why not bring back William Woollard, Jon Bentley or Noel Edmonds as presenters. Or take it right back to it's roots, resurrect Angela Rippon and screen it just in the Midlands.

Top Gear - jamie745

Theres billions of clips from Old Top Gear on Youtube and yes there was the odd interesting feature but the shows core audience were anoraks. These days it's watched by over 300 million people worldwide and even people who don't know which end of the 911 the engine is in do like it.

Top Gear - elekie&a/c doctor

Looking at the way the presenters drive,i doubt if they ever get into top gear.Also have you ever seen them open a bonnet on anything they test?I doubt if they could do that either!

Top Gear - Bobbin Threadbare

It's one of the best comedy shows on the telly. I don't see it as a motoring show. I like Hammond - he's a good presenter and I think he does a good job on Braniac as well!

Top Gear - madf

I love TopGear.

I am a child at heart and the show appeals to my heart.

(The cars are incidental : it's just like The One Show but better presented and funnier)

Top Gear - The Gingerous One

>why not bring back William Woollard....

Whilst going though my late grandfathers home videos several years ago, on the end of one of the tapes was William Woollard testing the then-new 4x4 Mk3 Cavalier in the snow in Norway. Car was on the F plate.

The report was somewhat dry, but made me wonder if there might be a chance we could ever see some repeats on Dave....

But I doubt it.

Top Gear - Leif

It is getting a bit dull. The childish pranks of launching a reliant robin into 'orbit' or destroying a caravan were fun, but as you say the new series has a lot of tyre squealing in silly cars.

Top Gear - jamie745

Silly cars?!!?!

SILLY?!?!?!

Since when was a heavily modified Police car dragster silly?!

Top Gear - julie page

Silly cars?!!?!

SILLY?!?!?!

That bit was good but then the aircraft shooting at them was silly!

but they choose cars that few people can afford

Oh god not another one. How many times has this criticism been levelled? A diesel Skoda Octavia may make thrilling television both to watch and make if you're an accountant - or Avant, who I believe is an accountant - but those three are not accountants.

But they test the same type of car virtually every week, what is wrong with variety?

Most Ferraris, Astons, Bugattis and so on are just stood in rich persons garages,

They did, when those cars came out. They tested whether the Army could shoot a Boxster or an SLK more times round an army training course.

They tested a Jag saloon car once also, which was great but most aren't that type of car.

PS sorry about the quotes being wrong but I can'y make them work

Top Gear - Leif

Silly cars?!!?!

SILLY?!?!?!

I wasn't referring to that, but to the high performance sports cars made of unobtanium, with seats made from the skin of calves raised on truffles and caviar.

The filming of them always annoys me too, it is like an acid trip, a close up of a light, a flash of the spoiler, a quick side view, you end up with your head spinning because the producer is trying to be clever. There is a balance between boring and arty f***y.

Top Gear - Bobbin Threadbare

It is getting a bit dull. The childish pranks of launching a reliant robin into 'orbit' or destroying a caravan were fun, but as you say the new series has a lot of tyre squealing in silly cars.

It's superb for teaching though. I show clips from it to illustrate acceleration, circular motion, conservation of momentum (Stig blowing a caravan up) etc!

Top Gear - Avant

It's an entertainment programme with a motoring flavour, and that's how it needs to be judged. It's watched by a wide cross-seciton of the public - including accountants, despite Jamie's typically shallow stereotype. It's certainly not trying to be a televised What Car - indeed I'm not convinced that TV is a particularly good medium for a detailed road test.

I think there may come a time when all the original ideas have been done already, and that may be the time to give it a rest.

Top Gear - Leif

It's an entertainment programme with a motoring flavour, and that's how it needs to be judged. It's watched by a wide cross-seciton of the public - including accountants, despite Jamie's typically shallow stereotype. It's certainly not trying to be a televised What Car - indeed I'm not convinced that TV is a particularly good medium for a detailed road test.

I think there may come a time when all the original ideas have been done already, and that may be the time to give it a rest.

Yes, it's not a car programme, it's entertainment as you say. I suspect it is reaching the time when the original ideas have gone, shame really because it can be entertaining.

I do like the fact that someone can say that Mexicans are lazy and flatulent for a joke. There are too many po faced literal minded people about, who cannot see that many of the TG jokes are a play on stereotypes, and not intended to be taken seriously. Or is that the problem? Have the right on crowd neutered TG, so the jokes are now flat?

Top Gear - Ed V

I think the question is "is there a space and a market for a car review show on TV?"

Top Gear - julie page

I think the question is "is there a space and a market for a car review show on TV?"

I am not saying they should alter the format of the show, - although I would like to see some more races like the one to Italy this week - but test a greater variety of cars. There are many interesting cars, apart from Astons and Ferrarristhat that cost a lot less and are fun also.

PS what happened to the secondhand Merc, BMW and was it a Lexus they bought secondhand are were to report on regulary.

Edited by julie page on 14/02/2013 at 14:21

Top Gear - P1800

I personally prefer the Old Top Gear.. . . nothing beats Chris Goffey road testing a Proton GLS

Top Gear - bucca

its got to be the funniest program on the telly, jeremy spoils it at times with his crud man parts/ lady parts comments that he thinks he needs to add to make the programme funny but jeremy please your funny enough with out them. the camera photography has to be some of the best around, and yes its just a jolly boys day out and who wouldnt race away from the traffic light if we had cars like that! or could aford the petrol to drive like that!!

Top Gear - julie page

Anyone watching it?

Obviously Jeremy been reading this thread!!!

Top Gear - bazza

To be honest found it pretty pathetic tonight, writing off about 20 Kias in the name of so called entertainment seemed wantonly stupid. Don't think I'll bother tuning in again.

Top Gear - julie page

To be honest found it pretty pathetic tonight, writing off about 20 Kias in the name of so called entertainment seemed wantonly stupid. Don't think I'll bother tuning in again.

Yep, that was quite pethetic

Top Gear - daveyjp
All the cars used will have been pre production models used by the company to test manufacturing processes and they also use them for press work prior to launch.

They would never have made it onto a garage forecourt.

BTW, my car has auto park. DIY is quicker, but my daughter enjoys watching the car steer itself.

Top Gear - andy815

Agreed maybe its run it course, but if it sells overseas so well it aint finnished yet. Can see where the programe comes from though as cars are like friges these days, you buy them and....well er... drive them.

Top Gear - jamie745

The new Die Hard movie cost £60million to make. Is that more or less stupid than crashing 20 Kias for a 20 minute TV feature?

Top Gear - 72 dudes

The new Die Hard movie cost £60million to make. Is that more or less stupid than crashing 20 Kias for a 20 minute TV feature?

But millions of people will go to see Die Hard 5, so it will make a big profit anyway.

Not so sure we'll see much return on the licence fee after this episode.

Still apart from the Kia Rugby, it was a good show.

Top Gear - jamie745

Millions of people worldwide watch Top Gear and it's bought by many countries.

Top Gear makes more than it spends and it's not just made by the licence fee. Clarkson sold his £15million stake in his production company to the BBC last year.

The licence payer gets their money back with interest from Top Gear.

Top Gear - bucca

last nights was the poorest one of the series yet, others great just hope lewis hamilton goes as well in his mercedes as he did in that reasonably priced car!

Top Gear - Sulphur Man

Agreed. Of the 58min broadcast run time, At least 25 mins was dedicated to Kia, with very little criticism. Even I briefly considered a Cee'd as a potential next car. Surely such product placement is a no-no on Auntie??

I sense theyre in a mid-series trough, and have blown the series production budget on a big end-of-series spectacular....

Top Gear - Ed V

Interesting comment re support for Hamilton. I find I can only properly support teams, e.g. England, but not individuals who aren't representing anyone but themselves.

Top Gear - Leif

It did seem shockingly wasteful given how many people would love a new car, even a Kia.

There were ~10 cars, £10K each to the maker say, that's £100K for prime time advertising on Auntie Beeb, you can't buy that.

My main issue with the 'rugby' was how boring it was. Rather like the handbrake 'joke', long and boring, so to speak.

Top Gear - Dabooka

Well you could just turn over and watch something else, like I'm forced to do wityh the constant delivery of b***** soap operas.

Each to their own, but you sound like my dad complaining about the amount of football on the box. Turn over!

Top Gear - 2.0Tsi
Anyone else think that the Focus ST is one ugly car? And Ford have really cut the corners with the price, did you see it on some of the corners it looked like a dog under steering and bouncing on the dampers whilst the Astra and Renault looked solid.
Top Gear - jamie745

I sense theyre in a mid-series trough, and have blown the series production budget on a big end-of-series spectacular....

Don't forget we've still not seen the special episode normally shown at Christmas, which will be shown at the end of this month I think. That's probably where the money has gone.

Top Gear - christo

Also don't forget every real man needs a real handbrake, not a teeny button............!

Top Gear - Engineer Andy
Anyone else think that the Focus ST is one ugly car? And Ford have really cut the corners with the price, did you see it on some of the corners it looked like a dog under steering and bouncing on the dampers whilst the Astra and Renault looked solid.

No - you weren't the only one. The whole show's boring now - I spent half of it fast-forwarding through it.

Top Gear - 1litregolfeater

It's complete tripe and the reason people no longer trust the BBC.

Top Gear - lordwoody

Why would you 'no longer trust the BBC' because you don't like one of the programmes?

Top Gear - jamie745

Has Top Gear sexually abused children over a 50 year period and then been ignored by their employer?

Allegedly.

Top Gear - dieseldotty

Has Top Gear sexually abused children over a 50 year period and then been ignored by their employer?

Allegedly.

Unlikely, it'd just be put down to their usual childish behaviour.

Top Gear - Sofa Spud

Top Gear is essentially a programme about the presenters. The cars are props. And some of the stunts the tedious trio get up to put me in mind of 'Last of the Summer Wine'.

What we need is a reasonably serious motoring programme where the presenters take a back seat (except if they're driving). The occasional light herated feature would be OK.

I would contrast Top Gear, which in my opinion is an abysmal programme, with another BBC programme - Countryfile, where the programme makers go out of their way to make the content interesting and informative. For example I'm not very interested in traditional basket-making, but somehow a feature on that subject on Countryfile keeps my attention even if it's not featuring Julia Bradbury! The presenters engage with whatever they're presenting without the mindless schoolboy banter that fills Top Gear.

Why not try the Countryfile format for a motoring programme?

""QUOTE...""Has Top Gear sexually abused children over a 50 year period and then been ignored by their employer?"" ....no, but they've probably abused a lot of cars.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 21/02/2013 at 21:47

Top Gear - jamie745

What we need is a reasonably serious motoring programme

We had that once. It was called Top Gear. Nobody watched it. I wouldn't watch Avant telling me how reasonable a Skoda is.

I would contrast Top Gear, which in my opinion is an abysmal programme,

Amazing how many people watch Top Gear just to berate it.

Because nobody wants to watch it? People like you have been tuning into Top Gear religiously for years just to complain about it and plenty of dullards have said they want to see a boring show, fronted by boring people doing boring things. So why has nobody made it? The obvious answer is there isn't a market for it.

Top Gear - unthrottled

The internet has made the old format of Top Gear redundant. In the 1980's, if you wanted to find out how much rear legroom there was in an Austin Montego, you had to wait till 9pm on Sunday(?) night. Nowadays you click on google. I've seen clips of the old Top gear on youtube and I think it is awful. True middle brow rubbish; too staid to be entertaining, yet, in spite of the slow delivery, not all that informative.

Top Gear - jamie745

The TG bashers may loathe Clarkson but whether they like it or not, Old Top Gear was at it's most popular when he was on the show. Watch his 1996 'review' of the Vauxhall Vectra when he mentions its infamous coathook around 16 times or some very late Old Top Gear ('99 ish) and you can begin to see the seeds of the new show being planted.

Top Gear - unthrottled

And the proceeds from exports pay for 'serious' programmes like Countryfile. I think the format is getting a bit tired, but I'm not going to tune in for the express purpose of being annoyed.

Top Gear - Leif

Top Gear is essentially a programme about the presenters. The cars are props. And some of the stunts the tedious trio get up to put me in mind of 'Last of the Summer Wine'.

What we need is a reasonably serious motoring programme where the presenters take a back seat (except if they're driving). The occasional light herated feature would be OK.

I would contrast Top Gear, which in my opinion is an abysmal programme, with another BBC programme - Countryfile, where the programme makers go out of their way to make the content interesting and informative. For example I'm not very interested in traditional basket-making, but somehow a feature on that subject on Countryfile keeps my attention even if it's not featuring Julia Bradbury! The presenters engage with whatever they're presenting without the mindless schoolboy banter that fills Top Gear.

It gets a large audience and makes a mint from overseas sales. I agree with other people, that old style TG would be dull as ditch water. Just look at Fifth Gear, it's okay, but it does not pull in a big audience.

Top Gear - Avant

Isn't there a programme called Fifth Gear on Channel 5? I've never seen it but it might be an alternative for those who don't like Two Fat Men and a Hamster.

And if you want to see video road tests of ordinary cars, look at the Reviews section of this very site.

Edited by Avant on 22/02/2013 at 00:46

Top Gear - jamie745

Plug!

Fifth Gear is like Top Gear in the way that a Jason Statham movie is a bit like Die Hard. It's all there, but somehow not as good.

FG also features one Vicki Henderbutlerson of Old Top Gear fame.

Top Gear - Leif

Plug!

Fifth Gear is like Top Gear in the way that a Jason Statham movie is a bit like Die Hard. It's all there, but somehow not as good.

FG also features one Vicki Henderbutlerson of Old Top Gear fame.

Off topic, but I recently watched a JS film, and more than a few times I burst out laughing as the stunts were so utterly ludicrous, as was his absurb macho male behaviour. In comparison Roger Moore wa a master of showing emotion.

Top Gear - 72 dudes

I think we've reached a consensus then.

Top Gear is an amusing entertainment programme which happens to feature vehicles (not cars).

The format is familiar (maybe getting tired) but appeals to all kinds of people including some who have little interest in cars or driving. (See the strategically placed pretty girlies in the audience each episode)

It needs large audiences to be successful as many have said.

Fifth Gear has occasional good features and tests, but gives the feel that it's made for the tricked up Citroen Saxo brigade (or the 15 year old VBH fans).

Personally I liked old Top Gear too, but I agree that a programme of a similar ilk has no place on TV in 2013.

P.S. Good thread, Julie.

Edited by 72 dudes on 22/02/2013 at 12:55

Top Gear - jamie745

Off topic, but I recently watched a JS film, and more than a few times I burst out laughing as the stunts were so utterly ludicrous, as was his absurb macho male behaviour.

I'm going to take a wild guess that the film in question was the Transporter film where he manages to flip an Audi A4 150 feet in the air and use the crane to knock the bomb off the bottom.

(See the strategically placed pretty girlies in the audience each episode)

Oh I'm sure Ross Noble was not joking when he said TG have a 'lady wrangler' who rounds up the good looking women and pushes them to the front. They do have a rule at Top Gear that the audience must be a 50/50 split of men and women to stop it being like the old days when it was just 7 blokes from an owners club.

Top Gear - Leif

Off topic, but I recently watched a JS film, and more than a few times I burst out laughing as the stunts were so utterly ludicrous, as was his absurb macho male behaviour.

I'm going to take a wild guess that the film in question was the Transporter film where he manages to flip an Audi A4 150 feet in the air and use the crane to knock the bomb off the bottom.

You win the gold fish. ;) And the scene where he leaps through a wall/window and in mid air catches one or two vials of vaccine, before landing on the road, and avoiding being run over. And the scene where he is attacked by a large number of men wielding iron bars, knives and axes, and he wins.

Top Gear - jamie745

I'm not a big fan of films where he pretends to be an American, Chaos is probably the best of those. His best film is obvious - Snatch.

Glad to find out it's not just me who thought the Transporter films were just silly. I like action movies - 80s and 90s in particular - and you can stretch to believing John McClane can survive jumping from a bridge onto a ship but Transport is just daft.

Top Gear - Leif
Glad to find out it's not just me who thought the Transporter films were just silly. I like action movies - 80s and 90s in particular - and you can stretch to believing John McClane can survive jumping from a bridge onto a ship but Transport is just daft.

The first 3 terminator films were brilliant, but there is a trend in films for absurd stunts. I think it is hard to create an action film with tension, and stunts that are credible and exciting.

Top Gear - galileo

Isn't there a programme called Fifth Gear on Channel 5? I've never seen it but it might be an alternative for those who don't like Two Fat Men and a Hamster.

There is, but I can't stand that awful woman they have. You know, the one who spends most of her time on screen smirking at the camera thinking "look at me, aren't I wonderful?".

The Great Central railway had a steam locomotive which shared her surname, named after a Director of the company, she may be a descendant.

And Tiff Needell is only slightly less irritating these days.

Top Gear - Leif

And Tiff Needell is only slightly less irritating these days.

You have a point. Needell does seem a bit self satisfied, as does that Jason Plato chap, and, less so, VBH. That said, they're okay, there are worse. Clarkson and May are good presenters, not keen on the Hammock chap, he did one TG episode which sent me into a coma, dull dull dull, no humour, too serious, did I say it was dull? Oh, and it was dull.

Top Gear - jamie745

I notice everyone comes out in force to bash a below-par episode but there's been no responses to Top Gears absolutely hilarious outing on Sunday.

Top Gear - Leif

I notice everyone comes out in force to bash a below-par episode but there's been no responses to Top Gears absolutely hilarious outing on Sunday.

There were a few good laughs. That Mini was ugly.

Top Gear - mss1tw

It was superb!

Top Gear - jamie745

After 10 years and 18 series it's hard to come up with anything new or unpredictable but the final moments with the Fiat/Rover James was something I never saw coming.

Top Gear - bucca

so lets think of some new ideas the boys could do! they drove to the north pole but is it possible for them to drive the south pole?or running the country without putting any tax on fuel, what would they tax instead? any one got any better ideas that we could send them

Top Gear - DERVISH

Could'nt agree more, thought this for ages, not watched top gear now for some years. Seems to me that the programme is purely for the entertainment of the three stooges that front the show. I thought fifth gear was the better of the motoring shows, they had day to day affordable cars and not all of this nonsense driving family saloons in africa/or the arctic etc utter rubbish!.. only good thing on the show that I remember was the star in the car?.

Top Gear - jamie745

If you'd rather watch Vicky Butlerson drive a diesel Passat and tell you about it's warranty then you go ahead. I personally find making history by driving to the North Pole better television.

Top Gear - galileo

If you'd rather watch Vicky Butlerson drive a diesel Passat and tell you about it's warranty then you go ahead. I personally find making history by driving to the North Pole better television.

I'd sooner have teeth pulled than watch VBH. In fact she gives me the urge to commit GBH.

Top Gear - unthrottled

I'd sooner have teeth pulled than watch VBH.

I agree, but I can't explain what is so annoying about that woman.

Top Gear - jamie745

Theres only one pleasing way to shut her up and even 3D can't enable that yet.

Top Gear - Leif

I'd sooner have teeth pulled than watch VBH.

I agree, but I can't explain what is so annoying about that woman.

She's okay, albeit a bit smug, which goes for most of the other 5'th Gear presenters.

Top Gear - unthrottled

Tiff Needell always swas infuriatingly smug, but VBH didn't seem smug, just annoying. Very annoying.

Top Gear - Leif

Tiff Needell always swas infuriatingly smug, but VBH didn't seem smug, just annoying. Very annoying.

It's a shame you cannot specify why she is annoying, as I am intrigued. Is it because she (acts as if she) thinks she is God's gift to men?

Top Gear - corax

Bring back Chris Goffey.

Top Gear - unthrottled

thinks she is God's gift to men?

Now, you come to mention it, yes!

Top Gear - Leif

thinks she is God's gift to men?

Now, you come to mention it, yes!

Result!

Top Gear - Leif

Tonight's Africa episode was excellent. Beautiful scenery, nice to see Africa away from tourist sights.

Top Gear - 1litregolfeater

Sorry didn't watch it.

Doesn't it beg the question: if the role of television is to advertise and titillate, why do have to pay a license fee?

Top Gear - Leif

What was it advertising, and what was titillating about it?

Top Gear - Ed V

Titilation doesn't, and shouldn't, come cheap.

Top Gear - Cluedo

I thought it was very good and this frm a person that is really going off the programme.

The scenery was stunning and having been on a safari in Africa I can vouch for some of the muddy roads that they got trapped in. Our little Toyota mini-bus got through every time though.