Vauxhall Zafira A - Tailgate locked - any way to unlock? - Rumfitt

I have a MY2003 Zafira 'A' with a locked tailgate, and wondered whether there was a way to unlock it from inside? It's a replacement tailgate from a breaker's yard so the ignition key won't unlock it.

I have tried the remote central locking and liberal amounts of WD40 to no avail. I have checked the operation of the washer wiper mechanism, which works fine and shares the same fuse i believe.

Unfortunately, unlike the later 'B' model, the Zafira 'A' model doesn't have the little inner tailgate grommet you can pull off to reveal a screw mechanism to manually release the lock.

The car failed its MOT on this and the garage reckoned it would have to opened with brute force, unless someone here knows any different?

TIA

Edited by Rumfitt on 08/02/2013 at 23:10

Vauxhall Zafira A - Tailgate locked - any way to unlock? - elekie&a/c doctor

Is it possible to climb into the back and remove the door card to access the lock mechanism.?Even if you wreck the plastic panel ,it must be cheaper than damage to the tailgate.hth

Vauxhall Zafira A - Tailgate locked - any way to unlock? - Rumfitt

You are indeed right, and the garage wrong!

I had a look and undid some screw blanking trim plugs which allowed me to unscrew the top section of the tailgate interior, and it could be pulled down, exposing the lock mechanisms. With a bit of jiggling I was able to open the tailgate thanks to a willing helper pushing in the release catch on the outside.

I haven't had the nerve to shut it again and see whether the switch works now, will try that tomorrow!

Vauxhall Zafira A - Tailgate locked - any way to unlock? - elekie&a/c doctor

Glad you got it open.Not sure why it failed the mot on this.It is only the passenger doors that need to operate correctly.