Mercedes Benz E350 Petrol 2007 - Engine Warning light - Mr Crump

I am really happy with the car however in recent weeks the engine warning light has come on even though the car is running very smoothly. The car has only done 23000 gentle miles with very few short journeys.It is serviced annually by a first rate non franchise garage who tell me that the fault code indicates a 'camshaft phasing sensor' problem. They have reset the car on 2 occasions but the warning light comes back on. Is this a known problem with this model and does it sound expensive?

Mercedes Benz E350 Petrol 2007 - Engine Warning light - countryroads

To replace that sensor by itself is not massively expensive, however there have been quite a few problems with the 350 engine and there was a 2010 class action lawsuit in the States regarding this engine and its timing gear/balance shafts etc. Apparently the sprockets can wear, in effect lengethening the chain and causing sensor issues to appear, when it is in fact a more mechanical problem.

I would suggest Mercedes Benz are the people to talk to, no disrepect to your independant but for a car like this, I would speak to the dealer. I know they are expensive, but its an expensive car to own! A mate has a C180K sport coupe that had similar issues but accompanied by rough running and needed new timing chain and sprockets to fix.

However, this could be pie in the sky and it is just the sensor, couple of hundred quid.

EDIT, the E class page came up at the bottom of this one, that was very quick, check the whats bad page..

Edited by countryroads on 07/02/2013 at 17:52

Mercedes Benz E350 Petrol 2007 - Engine Warning light - Mr Crump

A very late follow up to my previous enquiry. The E350 has now done 43000 miles and has run perfectly since switching petrol from Shell Normal to Shell Nitro. No reappearance of the engine warning light whist running. No idea why this should be so but it does support your view that there can be worthwhile benefits in using this fuel. I have no connection with Shell!

Apart from the annual road tax this has been a cheap car to run (26 mpg) having regard to its size and performance but I only do 6/7000 miles pa. and servicing is not perfomed by Mercedes.