Ford Fusion + 1.6TDCi - Damage to locking wheel nut key - DavidBirds

This week I purchased 2 Good Year tyres via Asda Tyres and booked a fitting at a local F1Autocentre in Oxford. They were for the front.

I took the car in and after about 40 minutes one of the mechanics came in to the waiting room and said we have been unable to remove the offside front tyre as the locking wheel nut was too tight. The nearside one had been done.

He also gave me back my locking wheel nut key which was totally mangled and no longer useable.

I had replacement brake disks fitted to the car in January 2013 under warranty due to a fault on them, so the wheels had been off at that point when the work was done by my local Ford garage in Bicester.

Ordering a replacement key takes 3-4 weeks (according to the dealership) and as I rely on the car I didn't want to risk being without the spare for this length of time.

I took the car to the Ford garage in Bicester and had to get the locking wheel nuts removed and replaced with a new set, this cost me £81 for the new locking wheel nuts and labour.

My gripe is with the F1Autocentre, I suspect that rather than using a bar to remove the wheel nuts the mechanic has used the air wrench, not seated the key properly and torn it to shreds. In 26 years of motoring 15 of which with cars with alloy wheels and locking wheel nuts I have never had such a problem. I have contacted their customer service manager but they don't want to know. I will vote with my feet and never use them again, but do I have any claim for the £81 I have had to shell out for the new locking wheel nuts? Yes the wheel nut may have been too tight, it's their word against the Ford garage in Bicester, who insist the wheels were torqued properly when the disks were replaced, and I have had lots of work done there and they are an HonestJohn preferred trader.

Any advice gratefully received.

Ford Fusion + 1.6TDCi - Damage to locking wheel nut key - Duncan112

Have you still got the locking nut & key? if so check how the key is damaged, ie are the tightning or loosening serrations mangled? My suspicion would be that they replaced the nearside wheel then used the pneumatic wrench in the "tighten" mode to try to undo the nut, when this failed they upped the torque and this caused the damage. I consider it extremely unlikely that a Ford dealer would have overtorqued the wheel, very likely that the "technician" at the fitting centre has erred.

Ford Fusion + 1.6TDCi - Damage to locking wheel nut key - elekie&a/c doctor

Very difficult to prove who is at fault here.My only recommendation is to make sure in the future that you take the locking wheel nut off yourself and re-fit it yourself so that you know it has not been overtightened.

Ford Fusion + 1.6TDCi - Damage to locking wheel nut key - MikeTorque

Similar thing happened to my Ford Focus when a garage took the wheels off for tyres. They were removing the wheel nuts with a pneumatic wrench, saw them do it so I know what happened, it was one of the normal wheel nuts they broke. A new nut was fitted for free but I still had to buy an original Ford wheel nut from a dealership, only a few pence though.

A true professional uses a hand torque wrench to free up and tighten car wheel nuts.

Ford Fusion + 1.6TDCi - Damage to locking wheel nut key - bathtub tom

A true professional uses a hand torque wrench to free up and tighten car wheel nuts.

Why would you need a torque wrench to undo wheel nuts?

Ford Fusion + 1.6TDCi - Damage to locking wheel nut key - SlidingPillar

Only practical use is reassuing the punter!

It is possible to be pretty accurate on torque with an air gun - you adjust it accordingly. And it is equally possible to overtighen with a torque wrench, either through misadjustment, lack of calibration or just plain simple user error. Most torque wrenches carry on tightening if you go past the first click.

I've had to use a two foot breaker bar on a nut the garage insisted had been correctly tightened. As a nine inch bar will readily exceed the torque needed for car wheels, I don't believe them!

Ford Fusion + 1.6TDCi - Damage to locking wheel nut key - TeeCee

Why would you need a torque wrench to undo wheel nuts?

My thoughts entirely. I zip the things off at home with a chinese electric impact wrench. Beats struggling with an assembly of socket, tommy bar and jack handle after the last "skilled fitter" has been at 'em and the spider won't do the trick. I wouldn't want to run the risk of butchering my torque wrench.

The thing that always makes me laugh is watching a senior fitter going round the nuts and religiously checking each one with a torque wrench, after they've already been whizzed up with the windy gun by the junior spotty oik. Yes it will go click on each one. What are they expecting, the personal intervention of the torque-reduction fairies?

Ford Fusion + 1.6TDCi - Damage to locking wheel nut key - Avant

Isn't the senior fitter just checking in case the spotty youth can't count to five and has missed tightening a wheel nut?

Ford Fusion + 1.6TDCi - Damage to locking wheel nut key - TeeCee

Isn't the senior fitter just checking in case the spotty youth can't count to five and has missed tightening a wheel nut?

I thought that the whole purpose of doing the things up with a torque wrench is to set them to the correct torque so they can be removed when necessary, rather than blasting them up to a point where leaping on the standard wheel brace isn't going to shift them.

A tad pointless if they've already been given the kwik-fit[1] treatment.....

[1] I must get around to editing the Wikipedia page for Kwik-Fit, to credit them for inventing the rounded nut.