Nissan Almera Tino - Nissan Almera Tino - Engine Malfunction Indicator - McVicar

Hi, I have a Nissan Almera Tino 1.8S - 2001, 104K on the clock. Always been as good as gold, so reliable. About a month ago I noticed it was driving a little bit 'jerky' when accelerating - I thought it may have just been the excessively wet and cold weather we have had recently. Then a few days later the Engine Malfunction Indicator came on. It stayed on for a day then went off again. It stayed off for a week (during this time it was still running jerky), then it came back on again. I had a mechanic friend rig it up to a diagnostic unit which reported "Random Misfire" - he suggested that although it was fairly common for various sensors to go, the fact that it was driving jerky suggested it was unlikely to be a sensor. We have changed the spark plugs and added some Redex to the fuel - no change - although after he fitted the spark plugs the light went out for a day (still drove a little bit jerky) and then came back on again! He said the spark plugs were pretty dirty.

From what I have read on the internet and speaking to him, I'm worrying that it may be the timing chain that has stretched. The other sympton is the rev counter flickers (only a little bit) which apparantly is a sign. And of course this is a big job - possibly not worth it considering the age and value of the car - which would be a shame. What is odd though is that if it was the timing chain, why did the light stay off for a day after changing the spark plugs!!??

I also read somewhere that someone had this issue and it turned out to be the air filter sensor that required cleaning.

And apparantly its 'only a 5 minute job' to determine if it is the timing chain, by lifiting the cam cover and seeing if it has expanded by more than 10mm - although I think this check is probably beyond my simple DIY skills.

I'm tempted to take it to a local garage and get them to see if they can give it the once over - it's a difficult one because you may obviously end up spending money for them to conclude that it's definitely the timing chain.

Does anyone have any other suggestions/ideas - I did also notice this morning when going through paperwork etc that the MOT from 18 months ago reported "(rear connection) - Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2a)".

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nissan Almera Tino - Nissan Almera Tino - Engine Malfunction Indicator - csgmart

I am by no means and expert and have no previous history fo working with these engines. Having said that I would start with the basics, making sure that your spark plugs, leads, filters etc are all in working order. Only then would I move on to move complicated and expensive cures.

I would have thought tour mechanic may have done these checks already but from what you've already said I'm not sure that he has.

Nissan Almera Tino - Nissan Almera Tino - Engine Malfunction Indicator - bathtub tom

If you're paying a mechanic, then you may as well pay them to whip the cam cover off and check if the chain tensioner has extended more than the dreaded 10mm, rather than paying them for other unnecessary work.

Nissan Almera Tino - Nissan Almera Tino - Engine Malfunction Indicator - elekie&a/c doctor
A random misfire code is a typical fault logged when the chain is in trouble.As suggested,get the tensioner extension checked.hth
Nissan Almera Tino - Nissan Almera Tino - Engine Malfunction Indicator - Oli rag

I know that when this engine has a problem with cam timing on the almera, you can buy a modified cam or crank sensor which is a bit more tolerant of a stretched cam chain to mask the problem. See nissan almera owners forum for more info.

Nissan Almera Tino - Nissan Almera Tino - Engine Malfunction Indicator - McVicar

Thanks for your replies. Silly question but if the chain has stretched does that make it any more likely to break? From what you are saying it is possible to effectively ignore the light by installing a more tolerant sensor? I have been unsure if the car is safe to drive any distance due to any imminent breakage of the chain which would completely knacker the engine I believe.

I have an update. I took it to the local garage this morning, discussed with a helpful chap there - he stuck another diagnostic reader on it and it came up P0335 - Cam Position Sensor. This to me almost certainly confirms it is the Timing Chain. Is it worth getting the cover lifted to confirm? Is there still a chance it could be something else?

Nissan Almera Tino - Nissan Almera Tino - Engine Malfunction Indicator - bathtub tom

As everything's pointing to the cam chain, then I'd suggest it's the logical path to take. It's not a big job to remove the cam cover to check and as has been suggested there's a forum dedicated to Nissans that may be able to help.

Let us know how you get on please.