Advice on 7 Seater...lots of different models! - flyinghigh

hi Guys,

We require a 7 seater for family use (4 kids).

We have a budget of around £3000, The car has got to be economical and reliable. Ideally a diesel. Not too fussed about badge.

I have come accross the folling cars.

Volvo V70 7 Seater Estate. D5.

Citroen C8 HDI

VW Touran TDI

Fiat Ulysse JTD

VW Sharan (most were older / higher mileage at our price range)

Please talk to me about the above models, which one would you get?

Also any other 7 seaters out there that may fit my budget? I do like the volvo but the 3rd row of seats are rear facing.

Thanks guys.

Advice on 7 Seater...lots of different models! - P1800

Try looking at a Seat Alhambra . . . similar cons as a VW Sharan (price/mileage/age), but they should be a little bit cheaper than the Sharan variant and better looking, though they are pretty much identical.. also with VW mechanics. Something like this perhaps:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301214995600/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/model/alhambra/make/seat/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1501/postcode/ws98xl/page/1?logcode=p

Edited by Bluenose20 on 03/02/2013 at 13:52

Advice on 7 Seater...lots of different models! - Happy Blue!

Citroen C8 HDI

Fiat Ulysse JTD

These are potentially very unreliable. Do you need cars this size (if you included the Touran)? Why do you need diesel?

Have you looked at the more reliable if less sophisticated Hyundai Trajet (petrol and diesel - both manual and auto). We had one for four years and were very happy with it. Not a joy to drive, but served its purpose very well and until we put bio-diesel in it, it was 100% reliable. Also look at the old shape Kia Sedona. Not as versatile internallu, but also basic and reliable machanicals.

Advice on 7 Seater...lots of different models! - Jase

I personally would be wary about an ageing V70 D5. They are nice cars to travel in but expensive to run and the D5 engine isn't reliable (i.e risk of massive bills).

At the £3k a 1.9PD Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy would be a good car to investigate and at least all children would get full size seat to travel in.

For less than £3k you could get a very tidy Honda Stream (if you can find one!) You might also just get into an early Honda FR-V, which is a 6 seater (2 rows of 3 seats). Both of these are good cars. Honda engineering with reliable, chain cam 2.0 petrol engines. Not as economical as a diesel on the face of it, but one mechanical failure on a diesel may more than wipe out any fuel savings.

Vx Zafira worth investigating.

Lots of people want diesel 7 seaters. At the £3k mark you'll get a newer petrol, which may prove more reliable.

Advice on 7 Seater...lots of different models! - TeeCee

>> Vx Zafira worth investigating.

Again, petrol versions. MPV reliability ratings recently out have petrol Zafiras as one of the more reliable models, while their diesel siblings lurk at the bottom of the heap.

I ran a petrol Zafira for a few years recently with no mechanical issues. The only bugbear is that the cambelt must be changed on time and this task must include swapping all the pulleys and the water pump, which can be pricey. Family connections suggest that the diesel ones eat gearboxes like they're free, which may account for the poor reliability rating.

The rear row of seats are surprisingly usable, certainly far more so than the reviews would suggest. Trick is to move the centre row forward a notch or two when using them. Palatially spacious as a five seater and truly cavernous as a "van". Never felt like driving a bus as many MPVs do. The fact that the whole lot stows away in seconds, rather than having to be removed, is an enormous plus that you only appreciate with use.