Citroen C5 2.0 hdi 136 - Citroen C5 2.0 HDi starting problems - holmesdaren

Hi, we are starting to have problems cold starting the car, it seems to turn over for a while and then starts but seems to be getting worse. Also every now and again it seems to pause a little around 1800rpm. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks

?

Citroen C5 2.0 hdi 136 - Citroen C5 2.0 HDi starting problems - Peter.N.

I have 2.2. 136 and it starts beautifully, I know that doesn't help you but I also have a 2.0. 110 Hdi that doesn't, its been getting progressively more difficult, it will eventually start from cold but when warm is almost impossible, I think this is due to a worn HP diesel pump, but if yours starts OK when warm its unlikely to be the pump.

How fast does it turn over? Hdi's need a good battery and starter. Does it have a fuel primer, if so pump it until hard before you try to start, if it starts then you have an air leak in the fuel system.

Edited by Peter.N. on 01/02/2013 at 23:15

Hi thanks for the reply, will stick it on charge to see if that makes a difference. Does anyone know if this car does have a fuel primer and if so whereabouts is it? If I do the above and it starts is it also likely to be the fuel pump in the diesel tank? and if so is there a way of testing this before I buy a new one?

It depends whether it has a Bosch or Delphi fuel system, if it has an in tank pump it probably won't have a primer. The Bosch has one should be able to hear it run for a second or two when you turn the ignition on, if you don't, either it hasn't got one or its faulty.

Thanks for the reply, managed to look at it today and does have a primer pump. You can defiantely see air in the fuel system, any ideas on how to find out where it is getting in, I assume that diesel will be leaking out aswell, is it just a case of trying to follow the pipes? Also if it has a primer pump does this mean that it doesn't have an in tank pump.

The only way you will be able to see diesel leaking out if if you park it on a steep downward slope with the tank above the engine. As it has a primer there will probably be no in tank pump so the fuel is drawn up by the HP pump, that makes the fuel line under vacuum so air will be drawn in rather the fuel leaking out.

Check the injector leak off pipes, its possible air could be getting in there, also make sure the fuel filter is seated and tight.

Hi, thanks again, have ordered a new fuel filter as you can definately see air after the filter in the clear pipes and not sure if I can see any before so will start there. Will let you know if that solves the probelm and thanks for your help.

Hi, have managed to change fuel filter today, after intially looking ok and taking out for a test drive, I then parked the car up (on a slight uphill slope, engine slighly higher than the tank) and went back to look at it 4 hours later, there was a small amount of air in the pipe between the filter and the engine pump and when I started her again quite a lot of air reappeared and more when I revved it. Any ideas on where the air is likely to be getting in. When I use the primer pump it obviously goes quite hard after a few pumps however when checking a few minutes later it has gone soft, is this normal or would this indicate a leak bwtween the tank and the primer bulb? also any ideas on where there would be any non-return valves?

Thanks

Also when looking at the fuel filter there appears to be a slight gap under the rim however there is a lug to stop you tightening any further and there would be no way that it would turn another whole revolution to align the pipes again. Is this correct, have put a new rubber seal on with the filter.

Citroen C5 2.0 hdi 136 - Citroen C5 2.0 HDi starting problems - rzepekuk

Hi holmesdaren

I have exactly the same car and exactly the same problem, I've been trying to sort the problem out for months now and I just can't fix it, I checked:

• ECU (No Errors)
  • Injectors (Leak off test - Everything OK, Corrections/Doses - OK)
  • Looked for leaks (Can't find any)
  • Replaced the Leak Off connectors (No change)
  • Replaced the fuel filter (No change - Maybe starting a little bit better but maybe it's just my imagination)
  • There's no vacuum/pressure noise when you open the fuel cap

Can you please tell me what you did to fix your car, normally I always fix my car on my own but this time I'm desperated and also no car mechanic can help me :(

Pretty much everything's been checked but the car is still not starting properly, the glow plugs are fne and the temperature outside doesn't make any difference. The only thing that makes a difference in my opinion is the amount of fuel in the tank, I have the worst problem starting her when the tank is half full. I'm running out of ideas already :(

Edited by rzepekuk on 22/12/2013 at 01:05