Mondeo estate - Spray painting rust areas! - Old Mondeo man

I am about to undertake repairing some rust on the doors of my Mondeo,Bought all the gear i,e Wet/dry sandpaper/spray paint//primer.The rust is not that bad its on the inside of both front doors.Any tips on what is best for dealing with the rust first before painting.

Thanks

Old Mondeo man.

Mondeo estate - Spray painting rust areas! - Paul87

use some kurust as well on the rusted metal.

Mondeo estate - Spray painting rust areas! - Peter.N.

When you have painted it squirt some engine oil inside the doors until you see it running out of the drain holes, makes a bit of mess but it should stop it from rusting again.

Mondeo estate - Spray painting rust areas! - skidpan

If its surface rust you need to grind the areas back to clean shiny metal. Kurust is a bodge and the rust always comes back eventually (or quickly if you don't remove all the loose).

If the rust is coming from behind and has pinholed the metal (or worse) there is no alternative but to replace panels or weld in new pieces of metal.

Filler is just a bodge.

Use a propper anti corrosion fluid like Dinitrol or Waxoyl, engine oil is for lubricating engines.

Old engine oil is a definite bad idea, the acids in it make corrosion worse.

Mondeo estate - Spray painting rust areas! - Peter.N.

I have been using new engine oil inside box sections, doors and sills for about 50 years and I can assure you it goes along way in preventing rust.

Waxoil is OK for flat surfaces but doesn't creep into the seams where most rust starts, before it sets, oil remains fluid and will go on creeping. If you do it once a year it will considerably prolong the life of the metal.

A film of oil will prevent both water and oxygen reaching the metal surface, without oxygen steel cannot rust.