Dilemma - DSLRed

Hi Guys,

Sorry - I have not posted on here for far too long, but was wondering what people's views may be on the dilemma I have below:

I have a Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive - It's been a lovely car, I've done 110k miles in 3.5 years but I was getting close to swapping it, perhaps 3 months time.

Anyway, I had a suspension fault flash up on the car display 2 weeks ago and the suspension sunk to minimum level - took it to a local indie who identified that the 40amp suspension fuse had blown - fitted me a new one and I thought that was sorted.

However, it made be think of updating my car as I was getting close anyway - to cut a long story short I have made the decision (Hyundai I40 Premium, ex demonstrator) and am due to pick up from the dealer tomorrow, trading the C5 in. The dealer is giving me £3800 for it - 4 years old (just), total mileage 118,000

However, this week, whilst waiting for my plate swap to be processed by DVLA to pick up the new one, my suspension fuse has blown again, second time in 2 weeks - it is in the garage again at the moment. Now it's not a problem to put another fuse in, but the question is why is it blowing again so soon - there must be a cause. Early indication at dinner time from the garge is that they think the suspension pump is fast heading for the parts grave.

I am waiting for them to confirm and price up the repair but they suggest I just put a fuse in and get it swapped - problem is that I am an honest kind of bloke and don't like to think I am pulling a fast one. But the repair could be a considerable cost and I am getting shut as soon as it comes out of the garage.

In my shoes, would you:

a. Delay the pick up of the new car until the problem is fixed - and stand the cost

b. Fess up to the dealer that there may be a problem and offer to knock some cash off the trade in

c. Put a new fuse in, take it to the dealer and run - it's someone else's problem.

Dilemma - madf

The deale will likely send it to auction..

Dilemma - DSLRed

The deale will likely send it to auction..

Dealer is indicating that they will pass it on to a local independant car dealer, kind of place that has a portakabin and lots of flags flying from poles probably - they will flog it on.

Dilemma - DSLRed

Just following on from OP, my concern is that in my attempt to not stitch anyone up I may be stiched up myself - I may offer some cash off the trade in with the intention that it covers the cost of an upcoming repair, and the dealer just pockets a bigger profit at my expense when they flog it on without fixing the pump.

Dilemma - RT

Almost all car buyers would simply replace the fuse, as often as necessary until they p/x it.

Dilemma - madf

Just following on from OP, my concern is that in my attempt to not stitch anyone up I may be stiched up myself - I may offer some cash off the trade in with the intention that it covers the cost of an upcoming repair, and the dealer just pockets a bigger profit at my expense when they flog it on without fixing the pump.

Got it in one...

Dilemma - DSLRed

Jeez, this is quite a problem though - I have been told by the garage that they have priced a suspension pump up and the part alone costs in excess of £900!. Nearly a grand for a pump!!! And I am not convinced that the indie garage is sure that is the problem - I think they are summising.

There is no way I am going to spend the price of a good holiday fixing the car for someone else when it is only worth less than £4k to me.

But passing on the problem doesn't sit easily either.

Legally speaking, is there any an issue if I knowingly trade the car in without fessing up to the problem?

Dilemma - RT

The suspension and fuse were fine when you agreed to the p/x deal - if you put a new fuse in to go to the dealers on changeover day and the suspension works as it should with no warning lights, then it has no faults for you to declare.

At 6 months old my car developed an intermittent immobiliser problem but it hasn't done it now for 18 months - should I declare that as a fault because it might come back, I don't think so.

Dilemma - Avant

I can see your point and admire your honesty, but as said above the dealer wil trade the C5 out and it will probabl;y go through several hands before finding a buyer. And any buyer looking at a Citroen with a six-figure mileage should have it checked out in enough detail to find a serious fault, if there is one.

Get another fuse put in and enjoy the Hyundai.

Dilemma - DSLRed

Thanks for the replies - they give me some confort that I am not quite setting myself up for a spell in the stocks!

I must admit that if the expected cost of putting the fault to bed was £200-300 or so then I would have paid it so I could pass on the C5 with no sense of unease. But for me to pay a bill in excess of a grand and then get rid of the car the next day would seem to be marking me out as an idiot.

Dilemma - Mr Fox
Why would anyone sell a car if it was working 100% perfectly ? Of course it's time to change the car now it's developed a fault. The dealer will not know or care about that, they will send it to auction and any prospective buyer will factor in the cost of repairing a possible fault, before buying it. Is not your problem once the deal is done. Admire your honesty, but it is not reciprocated by the motor trade unfortunately