Recycled cars - Doc
I saw this on the letters page of today's Guardian and thought
what a good subject for discussion.

"If the government stopped issuing new private vehicle registrations two things would happen. One, the number of cars on the road would effectively be frozen. Two, today's worthless wrecks would have a market value, since a new vehicle could only be registered by turning in an old one."

Recycled cars - J Bonington Jagworth
A nice thought, but one that would lead to a crimewave, I imagine... (forging registrations and/or stealing old cars)
Recycled cars - Tom Shaw
A large percentage of Guardian readers appear to live in some sort of fools Utopia, where we would all be happy and live forever if only we followed the path they have chosen for us.

Of course, they would be at the front of the anti unemployment marches when the motor industry collapsed and the dole queues grew by a couple of million.
Recycled cars - Darren
Seems a good idea if you currently have a car then you can transfer your registration , but if you are a fresh faced 17 year old just past your test but no car then you will never be able to have one as you don't have a registration.

I think somebady needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
Recycled cars - Doc
Seems a good idea if you currently have a car then
you can transfer your registration , but if you are a
fresh faced 17 year old just past your test but no
car then you will never be able to have one as
you don't have a registration.

What the 17 year-old would need to do is buy secondhand.
The scheme would only apply to new cars.
Recycled cars - THe Growler
Trouble with Grauniad-ethos chaps is they have trouble understanding the concept of wealth, the creation of same and how this drives society forward. They're awfully good at consuming it via endless government grants but not so hot at making it. Easier to write wobbly-liberal cant than do a day's work in a commercial environment.

I'll give this post about 90 mins shelf life.
Recycled cars - Hugo {P}
I think the problem is that supply of cars of all ages will always outstrip demand. You only need to look around to see how many cars are being flogged at any one time to see this for yourselves. The exceptions being some pretige/classic models.

The surviveability of motor manufactures and traders is being supported by marketing telling us we should like a newer car, not by an absolute need (unlike basic foodstuffs).

That is why for £500 at auction I can pick up a decent 8 year old motor if I want to, which is both comfortable and safe to drive.

Should I face a major mechanical failure that would require me to spend several hundered quid on the car, I would then probably go out and buy another £500 plus car.

Long may it last!

H
Recycled cars - alex

Singapore (the city state which introduced congestion charges more than 30 years ago) has restricted new vehicle registrations for a number of years and this situation means car prices there are amongst the world's highest.

Even if you can afford to buy a motor vehicle, you can't register it for road use unless you first obtain a Certificate of Entitlement (CoE). And this is difficult because a CoE
is only issued when an existing car is scrapped or when the CoE is part of the tiny annual quota growth for new vehicles.