Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - KenC

My current car is 9 years old (from new) I am thinking about what to buy next,

I want a small engine petrol car, must be a 5 door/must be a hatchback/must NOT have expensive cam belts to change every 4 years.

I am favouring a Suzuki Swift, I welcome all comments and opinions and in particular reason why I should not buy one ( I will be wanting to keep it for 6 years or more if it proves reliable)

So far my concerns are

1. No full size spare tyre.

2. will a punctured alloy wheel fit in spare tyre bay or worse on a passenger lap !

3..small boot

4. reliabiity 5 years plus onwards

5. push button engine start (SZ4) is this a weakness that makes this car vulnerable

to theft like certain expensive BMW s ?

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - thunderbird

Answering point by point:

You will be very lucky to find a small car with a full sized spare, most have no spare at all.

Some do, some don't, check it when you go and view the car, all you need is a tape. Alloy fits in the space saver well in our Kia perfectly.

All small cars have a small boot, its because they are small cars. If you need a bigger boot look at bigger cars.

After 5 years any car can be a lottery with regards to reliability but if you look after the car well it should look after you.

Many cars have push button starts and you still need a key or card to de activate the immobiliser. Not an issue in truth, if it was insurance companies woul be loading models so fitted.

With regards to the timing belt don't worry about it. Yes they need changing but the intervals are now much longer and the belts much better. Ford recommends 10 years or 100000 miles on the Fiesta engine. Chains are not fool proof, some makes have had huge issues with them. If the engine is properly maintained you will be very unlucky to have an issue with either.

Think what you really want because your needs and desires appear to me to be somewhat at odds with each other. For example manufacturers fit space savers or no spare to give cars a bigger boot (they also save them money and keep weight down a bit), you want a big boot and a full size spare. This is just not achievable in a small car, you will not find such a car on the market.

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - gordonbennet
. For example manufacturers fit space savers or no spare to give cars a bigger boot (they also save them money and keep weight down a bit), you want a big boot and a full size spare. This is just not achievable in a small car, you will not find such a car on the market.

Except Aygo (full size spare) and presumably its clones, mind you the car is fitted with sensibly proportioned and priced tyres given its size and weight.

Agree with the rest of your post, looked after well and not abused i have no reason why ten years wouldn't be reliably seen from a Swift.

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - Happy Blue!

I agree.

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - Cyd

Even with a chain cam , preventative maintenance is advisable. Change the engine oil more often than is recommended by the manufacturer, use a flush and ensure it's drained from the sump (not sucked up through the dipper tube - even some main dealers do this). Many chains are lubed by oil draining back from th ecam chamber and this area can be prone to sludging, leading to oil starvation for the chain.

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - skidpan

Even with a chain cam , preventative maintenance is advisable. Change the engine oil more often than is recommended by the manufacturer, use a flush and ensure it's drained from the sump (not sucked up through the dipper tube - even some main dealers do this). Many chains are lubed by oil draining back from th ecam chamber and this area can be prone to sludging, leading to oil starvation for the chain.

Don't necessarily think that changing your oil more often than recomended is needed but what I suspect many owners who have had issues with cam chains have done is either use a cheap oil or the garage they have used for servicing have used a cheap oil. Using the correct viscoisty and ACEA spec are essential. Many garages have a single bulk oil and use it in all the cars they service, that may have been OK 30 years or more ago but it is not OK today. Synthetics and even good semi synthetics do not sludge up today but cheapo oils still do.

Using cheap oil might save a tenner a change but when it costs about £80 to to fill a 55 litre tank the small saving is crazy.

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - madf

I have a Yaris d4d and son has a Yaris 1.0 both chain driven.

Engine flush is not needed in my view and can be downright bad as modern engine tolerances demand high spec oils for very close tolerances.

Son's engine had very bad chain rattleat 90k miles due to no engine oil changes for 30k miles: changed the chain and it has done aother 35k miles with normal maintence and synthetic oils - no oil usage apart from leaks.

D4D is now 10 and no chain issues: oil changed annually.

Big problem is cheap non standard oil filters letting oil drain when engine is cold... And owners who neglect servicing...the kind of owners who neglect cam belt changes... and get expensive breaks..

Agree with skidpan: why save £10 every 10k miles on cheap oil False economy..

Never seen any oil sludging in 40 years of motoring - maintenance , good oils and no Fords.

I have a 9-3 Aero. This from HJs car by car breakdown:
Petrol engined SAABs with 4 cylinder SAAB engines prone to sludging up of the oil feed to the balancer shaft sprocket. Essential to change the oil and filter every 5k miles, to flush the old oil, and to drain from the sump plug. Do not siphon the old oil out or you will leave sludge in the sump

I bought mine at 3 1/2 years and 41k. In 11k since I bought it I have done 3 oil changes with flushes. When I did the second one I left a litre of the drained oil to stand in a glass jar for 3 weeks, then poured out. 3mm sludge in the bottom of the jar. Repeated this test at the third change, no sludge. Another 3k oil change coming up soon.

I have always changed oil much more frequently than specified (and other fluids too, gearbox, steering, brake and coolant). In my rally cars we changed the oil after every event.

All my road cars have been modified and I like to use the performance. I like to keep my cars for years too. My 800 Vitesse Sport was with me 11 years to 165k. Took the cam cover off to show buyer - clean as a whistle. Oh, and on it's original turbo too. And I drive my cars hard (once warm!). Same thing with my 220hp quad SU V8 SD1 flier! over 100k, never so much as a hiccup.

The price of oil is small compared to engine or gearbox rebuilds.

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - unthrottled

And I drive my cars hard (once warm!).

That's my philosophy. How long do you consider warm-up (in the absence of an oil temp gauge?)

That's my philosophy. How long do you consider warm-up (in the absence of an oil temp gauge?)

Oil temp closly follows that of water temp. I used to have oil pressure and temp guages on the rally cars and found that there was little lag to the oil temp.

It's not just engine oil that needs to warm up. So too does the 'box, steering and shocks. I regularly drive the Fosse Way from Lutterworth to my brothers in Corsham (and back, of course). I always drive gently from cold and keep revs between 1700 and 3000. I try not to do any high throttle overtaking within the first 5 miles. After this I gradually step up the pace. After about 15 to 20 miles the car seems to settle into its rythm, once the shocks have warmed through and lost that cold 'jiggle'. It definately performs at its best though after a few more miles of good driving, especially if I can get the turbo nice and hot (which I like to try and do before getting to the Fossebridge hollow [and Stow hill on the way back], excellent places to get past slow traffic on the climb out where there are two lanes).

Neither is it just the car - it takes me a few miles to settle into my rythm. About 15 to 20 miles is also what it takes for the car to start to feel like an extension of ones self. The wife even knows to shut up once I'm "at one" with my machine!

Also allow some 'cool down' miles at the end of a journey, and leave it idling for 3 to 4 minutes before shutdown if it's hot (sometimes with the hood up).

We used to take the rally car off the trailer and drive it the last 20 miles to an event when we could. Inevitably, though, we were always starting the first stage with a half warm car only 'cos of the standing around.

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - Doc

You will not be disappointed with the Swift--a great small car, great fun to drive and much underrated.

I have a current SZ4. My last 1.5 GLX was 5 years old when I sold it and nothing went wrong with it.

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - halmereincarnated
My wife has a SZ2 which is 12 months old now.

I grab the keys at every opportunity, it's a wonderful little car.
And it's the only car that we've ever owned where we haven't had to make a single warranty claim in the first twelve months.

thank you for the reply, I HARDLY ever see a Swift SZ4 in use locally,I would very much like to find a freindly owner to learn their opinions and ask a few questions

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - focussed

I have a bit of background with Suzuki. They are a brilliant engineering company whose design philosophy is "lets make it simple,robust and powerful using proven principles" instead of "lets show everybody how clever we are"

All Suzuki motors are robust and well made, whether chain cam or belt cam, never known one break a chain or belt. The Swift petrol motors are great little motors, but the 1.3 DDis diesel I wouldn't touch with a long barge pole, although to be fair these are now being built under licence by Suzuki themselves instead of by Fiat, GM, and Uncle Tom Cobley et al in Asia.(head gaskets fitted upside down anybody?)

The problem with Suzuki GB can be parts supply - it can take a while for parts to turn up through their system.

On the downside I asked how much it would cost to replace a scratched wheel trim last week and was quoted £50!
Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - thunderbird
On the downside I asked how much it would cost to replace a scratched wheel trim last week and was quoted £50!

Do you honestly think it would be much (if any) cheaper to buy any OEM wheel trim as a single item.

With regards to oil temp and water temp one of our cars has both and both are linear gauges (not the modern ones that jump to mormal and stay there until its too late. The water gets to 90 degrees after a couple of miles, the oil probably takes 5 or 6 miles to get to 80 degrees on a summers day, in winter it takes forever. There is no oil cooler on the car.

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - unthrottled

That sounds about right.

Thank you for your reply,

I have read elsewhere that the latest 1.2 Swift engine is in fact a Toyota engine.

Do you know if this is true ?

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - Doc

Thank you for your reply,

I have read elsewhere that the latest 1.2 Swift engine is in fact a Toyota engine.

Do you know if this is true ?

The k12 engine in the Swift is made by Suzuki.

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - skidpan

Where on earth did you read that nonsense.

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - Avant

Wasn't it Daihatsu that used Toyota engines?

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - Auristocrat

Toyota have owned a majority stake in Daihatsu for some years. The 1.0 , 1.3 and 1.5 litre engines used by Daihatsu are Toyota - used in the Sirion, Terios, Materia and Perodua Myvi. The original Yaris was a Daihatsu design. Toyota also own 16.5% of Fuji Heavy Industries - Subaru's parent company.

Here is the Source

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/suzuki/swift-2005/

Here is the Source

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/suzuki/swift-2005/

Suzuki Swift SZ4 - Reasons NOT to buy a new Suzuki Swift - Auristocrat

According to Wikipedia the Suzuki M range of engines were used ranging in capacity from 1.3 (1328cc) through to 1.8 litres. These are manufactured by Suzuki and were used in the last generation Swift and the Jimny

The current generation Swift uses the 1.2 K series engine also used in the Splash.

Not seen any other info to suggest any sharing of engine technology between Toyota and Suzuki. Be surprised if there was given Suzuki's previous links with GM, and their current link to VW.