Any - Advice needed please - Italian traffic offence - nick62

A letter from the Vicenza local Police arrived today. It appears (although it is not entirely clear), that whilst driving an Italian hire car last August, I drove into an area that was restricted? The description (all in Italian) seems to say that a video camera idetified the car I was driving, because it did not have the relevant permit for that area?

Upshot is that they are requesting I pay a "fine" of either approx. €30 or €105 (again not clear).

Should I file it in the shredder, or would this result in me being blacklisted if I ever attempt to hire a car in Italy in the future?

Any - Advice needed please - Italian traffic offence - nick62

Sorry Admin, I've just realised this should have been posted in "Legal Matters".

Could you move it please?

Any - Advice needed please - Italian traffic offence - Armitage Shanks {p}

It may or not be a scam! I googled for "Italian Traffic Fine Scam" and found many items, of which this was typical

www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-received-a-traff...m

SFAIK, if you were in a hire car, the authorities will have got your details via the credit card you used to hire it and, if you don't pay, the hire car company will pay it on your behalf using the details they hold.

Here is a much older one, from this forum, which may help a bit, with background info

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=47131

Note the comments of our uber-reliable legal contributor DVD!

This link relates to the vicenza zone

tinyurl.com/al3rand

This lnk relates specifically to the Vicenza tinyurl.com/al3rand

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 23/01/2013 at 06:06

Any - Advice needed please - Italian traffic offence - Armitage Shanks {p}

Delaying tactics needed here I think. Do a Google translate of something like "I regret that I do not understand the content of you letter dated ???? relating to an alleged offece on ??? and will be unable to take action until you communicate with me in English"

Any - Advice needed please - Italian traffic offence - Collos25

Check with the car hire company if they have been in corrospodance with the Police and its genuine I would think they will take it from your CC.