VW Passat 1.9 TDI 2008 - Possible Injector Problem ? - lennox

Car starts perfect even in sub zero tempratures after about 1 mile gets lumpy and prone to cutting out will only restart using cold start. Fault codes say open circut on 1 & 3 Glow Plugs But as stated starts first time every morning , RAC & independant Garage say not Glow Plugs went to VW they find same fault codes and say they have to change Glow PlugsThree weeks and £244 later same fault now going back to VW for further investigation. I understand there was a recall on injectors on erlier models. Any recorded problems with later models

Thanks Lennox

VW Passat 1.9 TDI 2008 - Possible Injector Problem ? - Peter.N.

Most DI engines seem to start OK without the glow plugs so I think it unlikely thats the problem. Some faulty injectors can develop high internal leakage when they get hot, don't know if this applies to VW but it certainly does to many.

You chan check this by extending the leak off pipes into external recepticals, clear plastic bottles are best, the leakage should be more or less the same for each injector, if one is much higher that will be the faulty one, but, it can happen that it only does it above a certain temperature which would fit your symptoms.

VW Passat 1.9 TDI 2008 - Possible Injector Problem ? - GordonK

Hi There

This is worth checking My car VW Passat 2.0 tdi Sport 2008 with 125,000 miles has been having problems for a while and VW couldnt seem to get the problem solved.

What my car would do is start up fine on a frosty morning and then after about a mile it would just cut out and would eventually start by winding it over and over

I took it to VW and they said it was coming up with a fault on No. 4 injector so they suggested I have the injector wiring loom replaced as this is a common fault, i did this and it seemed fine for a couple of weeks and then a frosty morning and it broke down after about a mile same problem, went back to VW and they said it was showing a fault on No. 2 injector and quoted me a large bill to replace the injectors.

I was not happy with their diagnosis as at first they were saying it was No.4 injector and now it was No.2 this car had had the recall early in its life so I thought injectors should be fine and I didnt want them guessing with my money.

I took the car to a small independant garage that I trust and asked them to have a look, They found out that the low pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank was not working they said that this pump primes the fuel to the secondry pump on the engine and then it can pull the fuel through, on a frosty morning the diesel fuel is much heavier and that is why the engine pump could not pull it up without the tank pump working.

Now this made sense as the fuel in the filter bowl was enough to get me a mile down the road and then cut out.

Fuel pump changed and the car is running great I am plesed to say so I would advise you get the tank pump checked

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem

VW Passat 1.9 TDI 2008 - Possible Injector Problem ? - gordonbennet

GordonK, stick with that small indy you've found, sounds like a perfect logical approach to fault finding.

Compare with main dealer's approach of we'll throw (chargeable) new parts at it till we happen upon a fix, this seems to be on the increase and you're little indy one of a vanishing breed.