Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - dac1

Hi all,
I need some help on which car to buy. I currently own a 2004 Vauxhall Corsa 1.3L. I have owned this car two years now but it is now starting to seriously damage my right knee. I'm 6 foot 4 inches tall and 16 stone. The (small) cars I've owned in the past have been a 1994 Ford Fiesta, 2000 Renault Clio, and other slightly larger cars. I had the Fiesta and Clio for a couple of years each with no problems. I have owned my current Corsa for two years and from about three months after purchasing it I started to have problems with my right knee, at first I put it down to someone done at the gym but it soon dawned on me that it is the car so it's time to get something different - I would've got rid of it sooner but it's so cheap to run. I have the seat as far back as it can go but my legs are still very much bent when pushing the pedals down. The headroom is fine but my legs (knees) have to go around the steering wheel and then my shins angled back into the pedals with my feet angling outwards. All this puts much stress on my legs and it is causing my right knee to click often. Getting out of the car is a problem too as the steering wheel is non adjustable so it pins my legs down. Others be warned, a small legroom car may be okay for the odd drive but everyday and it's a problem.
So what I'm looking for from you guys is any suggestions on which car I should purchase and your own experience of legroom in cars?? My criteria for a car is as follows:
1) Smallish - so I can park in tightish spots (Fabia, Jazz to Focus, Civic)
2) Good on the MPG - I don't want a thirsty car
3) Something half reliable - something that isn't French :-s
4) Cheap - I'm not fussed about the make as I'm not a label person

I guess I'm looking for suggestions like, for example, "I would've thought the Ford Focus has lots of legroom but it doesn't", or "a Honda Jazz looks tiny but it has lots of legroom". I'll worry about sourcing the car at a good cost I just need to know a car to search for that has good legroom but isn't a big car. All suggestions welcome!!!
Thanks in advance.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - Auristocrat

We bought a new Hyundai i20 in April - one week after my sister and brother in law also bought a new i20. My brother in law is also 6ft 4ins, and has no problems with the i20. They've used the i20 for holidays (eg Isle of Skye) and have had no issues with the long drive from the Midlands using both motorway and A roads. The i20 copes well with luggage and walking gear for a two week holiday.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - Bobbin Threadbare

My husband is 6ft 3, mainly made out of legs, and he can drive my mum's Toyota Aygo very comfortably. F-i-L is also 6ft 3 and he has an Audi A6 Avant because he thinks German cars are posh and have lots of room!

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - Chris M

Would a CMax be too big (externally) for you. Plenty of leg and headroom, adjustable steering wheel and very easy to get in and out of.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - mrnikko

I run a 2003 Ford Focus Diesel ghia my son who is 6' 6" drives the car over 100 mile plus journeys and he is qiute comfortable driving. We have had the car for 2 years now and apart from regular service and tyres has cost pennies to run.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - Avant

The only thing you can do realistically is try cars out and see what fits you. You could be 6'4" because of a long trunk or long legs or a bit of both, and this could make quite a difference as to what's comfortable and what isn't.

A Jazz is surely one to try, and you almost certainly need a car with an adjustable steering wheel.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - BenG

I'm 6'5 with 36" inside leg and had no problems with my (Mark 1) Ford Focus, or my current Seat Leon (again, Mark 1), though had to remove the left footrest in the latter (next to the clutch pedal) as it was too close. Also used to have a 1994 Rover 214 which was fine, and a '97 Mazda 323F.

Had a Fiat Uno once but had to get the driver's seat cut out and welded to the body further back(!). If I'd crashed it I'm sure the seat would've ripped away from the floorpan as the welding was rubbish!

Thanks for your replies.
It has crossed my mind to view many different cars, sit in them and see/feel the leg room, however I thought I would try my luck on here and see if others can narrow down the search for me.

My current Corsa doesn't have an adjustable steering wheel so I think that is the major problem causing my troubles. A Skoda Fabia has been mentioned to me and so has the Honda Jazz. Funny a Ford C-Max was mentioned as I followed one to work this morning as was thinking would that suit me. I'm guessing the C-Max and Jazz are people carriers (MPV)?? I don;t mind the look of those cars but I think proper looking MPVs wouldn't suit me. Not is the driving position important to me (not having bow legs whilst driving) but also the ease of getting in and out of the vehicle is important too.

So far I'm thinking of the following:
Honda Jazz (good make)
Honda Civic (good make)
Ford Focus (cheap to run)
Skoda Fabia (good car)
Skoda Octavia (although this may drink the fuel as it's bigger) )good car)
Seat Ibiza (cheap to buy)
Seat Leon (cheap to buy)

I'm really not sure which I will go for and I expect many more makes/models will be on my list. I think it will be the case of picking three or four, with your help, and then seeing which car/deal comes up and then going for that.

More suggestions and experiences still welcome.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - Bobbin Threadbare

Thanks for your replies.
It has crossed my mind to view many different cars, sit in them and see/feel the leg room, however I thought I would try my luck on here and see if others can narrow down the search for me.

My current Corsa doesn't have an adjustable steering wheel so I think that is the major problem causing my troubles. A Skoda Fabia has been mentioned to me and so has the Honda Jazz. Funny a Ford C-Max was mentioned as I followed one to work this morning as was thinking would that suit me. I'm guessing the C-Max and Jazz are people carriers (MPV)?? I don;t mind the look of those cars but I think proper looking MPVs wouldn't suit me. Not is the driving position important to me (not having bow legs whilst driving) but also the ease of getting in and out of the vehicle is important too.

So far I'm thinking of the following:
Honda Jazz (good make)
Honda Civic (good make)
Ford Focus (cheap to run)
Skoda Fabia (good car)
Skoda Octavia (although this may drink the fuel as it's bigger) )good car)
Seat Ibiza (cheap to buy)
Seat Leon (cheap to buy)

I'm really not sure which I will go for and I expect many more makes/models will be on my list. I think it will be the case of picking three or four, with your help, and then seeing which car/deal comes up and then going for that.

More suggestions and experiences still welcome.

Out of this list, I would look at the Focus and the Civic - a mate of mine is 6ft7 and he drives a 2007 Civic because he says it was the most comfy and nicest car he could fit in. He had a Volvo before that.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - Chris M

The Jazz & CMax aren't MPVs, just 5 seater cars with a more upright driving position and hence, easier to get in and out of. The seating position in my CMax is different to a Focus. Takes a little getting used to, but I now quite like it.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - RT

The Jazz & CMax aren't MPVs, just 5 seater cars with a more upright driving position and hence, easier to get in and out of. The seating position in my CMax is different to a Focus. Takes a little getting used to, but I now quite like it.

I think that classes them as a 5-seat MPV !!

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - Ethan Edwards

6ft4 heavier than you and nearly 50.

Nissan Note - plenty of room I sold mine in September and went for a 62 plate Yaris again plenty big enough.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - countryroads

A good friend of mine who is around 6' 5" ish I think, and very broad, once said the most comfortable car he has ever been in was my 1991 Granada Scorpio we shared 1500 miles of road trip in, but I suppose they arent really practical nowadays!

He drives a 2006 Mondeo now and likes it though, and doesnt even have the seat all the way back in my old A4!

@Eathan - how do you fit into a Yaris when you're that size?? Its strange how little cars that some fit big people and others don't. I'm presuming the Yaris has an adjustable steering column? Surely your legs are still mighty bent when your drive it?
I don't understand how you can drive your Yaris when I have trouble driving my Corsa when they and we are the same size.

I'm seeing that with a bigger car is when you have larger legroom and with smaller cars, even though you will be able to drive it, you would be very cramped which, as in my case, over time will cause injury/trouble.

Cars that I have read on forums being of good size are:
1) Nissan Note
2) Honda Jazz

I could quite easily purchase a Mondeo but then the MPG won't be so good. I could purchase a smaller car but may have the small trouble. I think I will concentrate on the middle ground (Civic, C-Max, Focus, Jazz seems smaller than a Civic, Fabia).

Are you possibly thinking of the old generation (quite small) Yaris? The new one is bigger. I like me comforts so I assure you that I don't travel crumpled up. Pop along to a dealers and have a sit in one.

The new one is pretty much the same size as say a 2007 year Fiesta. Plenty big enough and I could even wear a tall hat if I'd like as there's that much headroom to spare. Not quite as roomy as the Note but close. Yes both have adjustable steering columns.

I had a 1.6 Note Ntec Auto which I converted to run on LPG and now I have the Yaris HSD T-Spirit with Sat Nav.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 16/01/2013 at 13:15

Okay, so i sat in a 2011 Skoda Fabia VRS today. This is one of the cars on my radar (size not model). Yes it's a small hatch which maybe I should be avoiding, but I thought I would check out the feel of it.
With the steering as high as it would go, seat as low as it would go, and the seat as far back as it would go (which I didn't feel was that far) I felt I could drive it. The problem still remains that I did have to pay attention when getting out of the car, i.e. it wasn't so spacious that I could just get in and out without knocking my legs. It was a nice car and certainly more spacious than my current Corsa but still didn't provide me with a feel of adequate space.
With this in mind I wonder if any hatchbacks will be good for me (ex. Yaris, Polo, etc etc or even the Fiesta). I think my radar will have to concentrate on the Focus, Octavia, Civic (still wonder if Civics are big enough) etc etc.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - TallSam

Hi All,

The most common measurement for determining a car's suitability for a tall person is headroom. Unfortunately, headroom measurements are not all that useful as seat hights vary from one car to the next. An alternative measurement is Roofline height; the height from the footwell up to where the window meets the roof. Manufacturers don't provide this measurement, however, talladaptiations.com is maininting a list of roofline heights for many cars. I'm 6'7" and the Honda Element is my personal favourite!

TallSam

The most common measurement for determining a car's suitability for a tall person is headroom.

Surprisingly, tall people vary considerably in their body height and leg length proportions - I'm 6'0" and my son is 6'5" but sitting down I'm taller than him - all his height is in his legs.

Cars all handle the body/leg proportion differently - some magazine reports show headroom and legroom, but it's not an easy matter getting a good fit for taller people.

Son currently drives a Vectra-C Estate (long wheelbase compared to the saloon/hatch) - he needs to replace it soon but says that any replacement must have nothing less in front seat leg room, rear seat leg room and boot space - a tall order indeed.

Edited by RT on 07/10/2013 at 21:37

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - Bromptonaut

The most common measurement for determining a car's suitability for a tall person is headroom.

Surprisingly, tall people vary considerably in their body height and leg length proportions - I'm 6'0" and my son is 6'5" but sitting down I'm taller than him - all his height is in his legs.

Indeed. My late sis in law was about 5' 8. If they sat next to each oher at a meal table you'd have thought her uncle was same height. When they stood up he unfolded his legs and was about 6feet4.

SIL was almost brushing the headlining of her Fiesta but he had plenty of space in a 405.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - ripjean

I am 6ft6 and had no problem with my mk1 Focus. I believe they designed it for so that people up to 6ft7 could get in and sit comfortably wearing a space suit!

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - daveyK_UK
We had 4x 6 foot5 blokes in a nissan note recently.
Really impressed with the leg room and headroom both in the front and the back.
Still plenty of space left with all 4 inside (and space for a toddler in the middle if needed).

With the new Note Mark 2 out, the previous Note is now becoming a real bargain.

It had a good reliable 1.4 chain cam engine as well.

I can reccomend the van based cars for head and leg room for tall drivers; the dirving position of these vehicle types also help taller drivers as you tend to sit more up right than a traditional hatchback/saloon.

The Qubo/Bipper teppe/Nemo are small in size but huge in terms of internal headroom and space.
Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - RaineMan

I am tall but with a similar trunk/leg ratio to Michael Phelps (retired Olympic swimmer), i.e. shortish legs for height. It is extremely rare for me to run out of leg room but head room is an issue in many cars. In reality you need to take any car for a long test drive before purchase as I have found you can feel quite comfortable for 5 miles but totally the opposite after 20! I used to drive an old mini van with no problem but find the BMW Mini impossible!

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - blindspot

early agila

british badge

great space

good mpg

easy to park

jobs agood un

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - Galad

I appreciate it's not directly relevant to the OP's question but I can't help mention the appalling difficulty (I'm 6 foot 2) of getting into the driver's seat of my 2013 Toyota Avensis - I have to push the seat all the way back to get in and out and it's still hard not to knock my knees in the process. I've driven Smart cars and everything else smaller than than a VW Polo wth no access problems.

The steering wheel on my Avensis is crying out for a flat bottom!

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - daveyK_UK

We have a tall driver (6 foot 4).

He recently had a new Ford Focus on hire and it was simply useless for interior legroom.

A real shame as the previous Focus was ok.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 12/10/2013 at 23:12

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - retgwte

Fiat Panda is surprisingly good for tall people

Suzuki Swift is good

Hyundai i20 is good

Best of all, for small cars, is the original Ford Ka. When SWMBO had one, there was at least a foot between me (5ft 7in) and the roof. I'm not sure whether the new model is as good.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - BenG

I'm 6'5, mostly legs, and fit fine in a Mark 1 Focus and a Mark 1 Seat Leon.

In the past I've also owned a '97 Mazda 323F, '94 Rover 214 with no issues.

Also driven a Mk 1 Ford Ka, Mk 1 Mondeo & 1990s (Mk 5?) Ford Fiesta with no issues.

On business have driven the Toyota Auris, Prius & Avensis with loads of room to spare.

HTH,

Ben

IMO tall drivers should be able to fit, comfortably, in any car - it's a simple matter of giving the driver's seat a big enough range of adjustments, up/down as well as forward/backward.

Such a range of adjustment would compromise the seat behind the driver in a smaller car, but that's inevitable.

For at least two decades, my first showroom test for any car is to set the driver's seat for my 6'0" frame - AND then try the seat immediately behind the driver - if it's not comfortable for me without altering the front seat, then that car never appears on my radar again.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - jc2

Best of all, for small cars, is the original Ford Ka. When SWMBO had one, there was at least a foot between me (5ft 7in) and the roof. I'm not sure whether the new model is as good.

The new model is,of course,a Fiat!

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - JOGON

I'm 6'5" / 15 stones - the (tall looking) Hyundai i10 suits me fine 3 years now, and smaller 5'2" female family members.

The Kia Ceed and Hyundai i30 also bags of room.

The current Hyundai i30 will be replaced later this year. Test drive it, 5 door only and 'big' for small.

Because of this there are deals to be had.

Kia Venga & Hyundai ix20 (same car) also tall.

Edited by JOGON on 14/10/2013 at 23:45

For the people here who are interested in getting more head room, they could try to modify/lower their car seat as described in this post (link removed - no free advertising.)

I'll be tackling the legroom problem soon!

Edited by Avant on 14/12/2013 at 00:34

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - madf

http://www.rica.org.uk/

Lots of helpful info and car analysis.

(Edit - NB: Madf is a regular on here and not an advertiser!)

Edited by Avant on 14/12/2013 at 00:35

Insufficient legroom is probably the biggest complaint for tall people. You can pay big bucks to get someone to do a custom modification, or you can purchase seat rail extension brackets from a new company that is producing them. There is an article that discusses the safety concerns and talks about these seat bracket extensions:

Editors: this is extremely useful info for your readers, it solves a huge problem for tall people and can make driving for them safer. Please, for their sake, let the link stay :-)

(Edit - link deleted. Why should other people pay for their advertising and you get yours free?

However, if any forum members want to know more, please E-mail moderators@honestjohn.co.uk and I will supply this company's E-mail address.)

Edited by Avant on 23/05/2014 at 18:44

Because your tall readers are being alerted to something that solves a major problem of theirs. But it seems it is more important for you to make sure that no one else gets any benefit. Hence the web continues to be an ever friendlier place. Nice work.

" But it seems it is more important for you to make sure that no one else gets any benefit."

Advertising works like this:

- You pay a fee to advertise your product or service

- You recover the cost of advertising by increased sales.

I can't see why that should be a problem for you.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - barney100

You need something with cruise control, your R leg will do much less work.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - Patrick Baigent

I'm 6 foot four. I drive a Honda CRV 1999, and it's just no good for my legs. The steering wheel isn't moveable but anyway the seat doesn't go back far enough.

I'm 6ft 4 and I squeeze into an Aygo.

Which is going very soon and to be replaced by a new Suzuki Ignis. Very roomy indeed. If your a non standard height/ weight etc go try one. You'll be surprised.

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - Benet

'Old shape' Toyota Auris. Lovely to drive and ample room for a 6'5" driver (or rear seat passenger!)

Any - Cars for tall people (6' 4")? - and my experience. - barney100

A tall friend of mine happily drove a Fiat 500...this is around the mid 80's.... but couldn't get comfortable in my Panda.