Nissan Primastar - Cut out, won't start - Fuel pressure 1.8bar - Hugo {P}

Hi!

Yes I know, 2 vehicles today.

The Primastar broke down on me on Friday and I got recovered home.

It's outside my house and a friend of mine very kindly came and read the fault codes for me, but none came up.

He then checked the parameter whilst we tried to start the vehicle. We noticed that the fuel line pressure was at 1.8bar.

Is this the abnormailty we're looking for and if so, where do we start looking first please?

Nissan Primastar - Cut out, won't start - Fuel pressure 1.8bar - elekie&a/c doctor

If 1.8 bar is the correct reading you are getting,then this is way out.There needs to be a minimum pressure of approx 150 bar before it will fire up.Basic checks of low pressure feed to supply engine pump first.Fuel lines,blocked filter etc.hth

Thanks

Fuel filter is coming off tomorrow.

We already know there is fuel coming into and out of the fuel filter.

How do I check the engine pump - disconnect and see if it's pumping?

The pump at the rear of the vehicle seems to work - I can hear it when I turn on the ignition.

Nissan Primastar - Cut out, won't start - Fuel pressure 1.8bar - elekie&a/c doctor

Checking the high pressure side of the fuel system requires special equipment.A good diagnostic tool that gives accurate live data of the system operation will help analyse the problem.

We know the pressure is 1.8bar.

Tomorrow the fuel filter comes out and gets checked over

We know that there was fuel coming into and out of the fuel filter housing.

I think after I've checked the fuel filter there is little I can do myself from what has been said.

Am I right?

Many thanks

Thanks for your help

To date:

We discovered the fuel pump was bust. The shaft had snapped.

So I located a new fuel pump (brand new Nissan pump - correct part number etc) via e bay and my mechanic friend swapped that over and replaced the timing belt kit as well.

Now we have a van that starts but idles very rough and tries to stall several times.

We're worried that the new fuel pump is faulty although this seems unlikely.

What else may give us this problem?

Thanks

Nissan Primastar - Cut out, won't start - Fuel pressure 1.8bar - Peter D

Air being drawn into the fuel line. Regards Peter

Thanks for that Peter. Where abouts? Thinking it may not have sealed properly around the pump perhaps?

Current situation

Diagnostic computer suggested that the fuel pressure regulator was at fault. The mechanic changed this for the one from the old pump and it started and ran great....

....for about 30 seconds.

Then it started flagging up the fault again. Fuel pressure was at around 250 bar. It would start fine but just wouldn't run or would idle slowly.

Still returning fuel pressure at around 250 bar and still returning the fuel pressure regulator.

What next?

It would seem we had to expel the trapped air from inside the high pressure side of the fuel system.

After tryng several times to start it on a gradually flattening battery we hooked it up to the Land Rover and cracked the unions to the injectors open and cranked it for some 20 seconds at a time. Eventually we got it ticking over slowly. We left it to tick over and it gradually increased in engine speed and eventually achieved 800rpm.

It's early days but it's looking good

All done so it seems!

The day after I posted it fired up for 10 seconds then wouldn't start.

We repeated what we did then got it running, again cracking off the injector unions to expel any air.

In short we got it running at about 6pm on the Thursday and I went up friday t check on progress to find it had been moved out of the workshop and driven up a hill.

I think the mechanic was introducing another fault by temporarily adding a priming bulb to the low pressure side and air was getting in via the temporary connection. Peter you were right at this point. Also we needed a good battery to crank it to purge it so it seems.

Thanks for all the pointers - fingers crossed I hope.