FORD COURIER VAN 1.8 TD ENDURA ENGINE - Problemsw with engine starting - davespain

I have a 2002 Ford Fiesta Courier van 1.8 turbo diesel endura engine. A week ago I parked in my drive after using it all day when it was running fine. Next morning when I tried to start it , it just turned over and would not fire. Glow plug light on the dash was flashing. I connected a tet bulb to glow plugs to check relay worked OK. Next checked glow plugs and all four were not working (extremely strange that all four were not working) Replaced all four and the engine started first time and glow plug light stopped flashing. I left the van running for 30 minutes then turned it off. The following morning would not start and glow plug light flashing. The symptons are the engimne fires but wont run on and the power steering electric motor by the radator runs on for about 30 seconds. Left van in disgust until two days later when I tried to start it again. It started first time with no flashing glow plug light. I used it all day with no trouble. When I tried to start the next day it wouldnt. Same symptoms. Took the EGR valve off to check was opening OK and cleaned.

Has anyone else had this problem or any idea what could be wrong. Diagnostic said pump but dont believe that as after diagnostic the engine ran all day. Any help would be much appreciated.

FORD COURIER VAN 1.8 TD ENDURA ENGINE - Problemsw with engine starting - Graham567
Could it be a intermittently sticking relay which might cause all four glow plugs to cease to work.Also check in the fuse box as Fords are known for burning under the back of the fuse box and causing intermittent faults.
FORD COURIER VAN 1.8 TD ENDURA ENGINE - Problemsw with engine starting - davespain

Thanks for your reply. Have put a new glow plug relay in and checked it with a circuit bulb which goes out after 20 seconds as it should, as the one it replaced did. Havent physically taken the fuse box off but have taken all the fuses and all the relays out and replaced them. There didnt seem anything wrong with the actual fuse box. Could it possibly be a faulty accelerator pedal being a fly by wire throttle?

Many thanks

FORD COURIER VAN 1.8 TD ENDURA ENGINE - Problemsw with engine starting - Avant

Moved to Technical.