Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - Brianthebubble

I have been running another thread Suzuki SX4 v Swift - but brought in three saloons, which when thinking about, and the helpful replies received from Engineer Andy and bazza as well as looking at replies to mm707, has helped me to focus clearly on what I am actually looking for.

I am running an R reg Renault Megane saloon, which despite its years still amazes me with just how smooth it is on the road. I have recently done the Uni run with my daughter and we covered the equivalent of London to Ankara! But, although it has served me well, it is old and there have been electrical problems as well as mechanical work needed.

I like saloon cars, I teach in adult education and the boot has become my office so I know I have a good level of security when I lock it. The Megane has a large boot and I recently picked up my wife's brother, his wife and daughter plus two big suitcases and one medium sized - without problem.

Engineer Andy has given me a lot of help with the Mazda 3 saloon and I would value any further feedback comparing the Renault Megane 1.6, Toyota Avensis 1.8 and Mazda 3 1.6 saloons, all 08 moidels, to guide me to which would be the one to go for. Comfort and quiet driving are important as is a good radio/cd speaker combination and ease of getting into and out of the car - my Megane seats are very low - probably due to age. I do not drive a lot but I do enjoy driving and being in the car - and so a relaxing driving experience is important to me.

I would value any guidance and experience you have with the three cars.

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - RT

Don't rely on saloon boot security unless you have some sort of lock to stop the rear seat being folded - I had one of the last Astra saloons, mk4, which I thought was quite elegant, unlike earlier Belmonts - it got broken into by smashing a rear door window, the deadlocks held but the toerags just folded the back seat forward and plundered the boot from there.

Since the Mazda 3 shares it's platform with the Ford Focus and Volvo S40, perhaps you should include those in your search, as they included saloon versions.

I can't help more directly as our needs changed and I've had 4wd estates/SUVs since then.

Edited by RT on 01/01/2013 at 10:14

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - gordonbennet

I don't own one but i delivered hundreds if not thousands of Avensis, every single car was as you would expect of new or nearly new, perfect, thats not always the case with all makers, i assure you QC at Burnaston is taken very seriously.

Every Avensis started and ran perfectly, had no vices, wouldn't stall on you a the drop of a hat, was easy to enter and exit and all doors shut easily with typical Japanese no fuss security.

You'll struggle to find anyone to criticize this car, apart from they tend to get a bit bored with the total reliability of the thing and the ever helpful Toyota dealer care which doesn't cost the earth, in the unlikely event they go wrong Toyota stand head and shoulders above all others (Honda excepted) when it comes to standing by their product, if something large and expensive goes wrong that shouldn't have its very normal for Toyota to fix things on a goodwill basis long after warranty has expired.

Recent thread here of a taxi driver who had the well reported CHG failure on his 2.2 Diesel at 100+ miles (5 years old?) and a part indy service history, Toyota trailered the car and put a new engine in for him all goodwill, ISTR he sensibly paid for a new clutch which they fitted at the time.

In this respect it is worth buying a well cared for example with a complete Toyota history and to maintain that policy for at least another couple of years, Toyota's own servicing is well priced, no need for a huge indy network as with other makes who bend you over as you walk through the doors of the glass palace.

There's a recent 'should i buy a Toyota' thread on this very forum, worth reading.

HJ in his review/test of the latest Auris names Toyota as number one in customer care.

Renault will probably have numerous issues electrically probably far more than your present steed, you will need to find a competent indy if you don't already have one, or have deep pockets.

Mazda make very competent and durable petrol cars, but appear to have German standards of customer care with problem vehicles out of warranty, ie lacking, as well reported here and from my outlaws experience with a failed petrol 3 clutch @ 12k miles which cost them £500 (first clutch failure for them and last Mazda).

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - bazza

Completely agree, the Avensis is by far the best choice for you, have been in a few and they're difficult to fault. I have the estate on my shortlist when the time comes. I am currently driving a 06 Corolla as a sort of stop gap car, our other car is a 2 year old Focus. The build and general feel of the Corolla is much more substantial, the hidden areas and underneath are finished to a much more rigorous standard, even though the Ford might appear a bit flashier inside. And, although the press love to slate them, it drives suprisingly well, good handling, ride and roadholding. The Focus is of course razor sharp but at the expense of harshness and noise, compared to the Corolla. You could look at the Auris, which is really the revised Corolla, again, the press love to slate them, but a thoroughly competent, well-engineered car. The 1.6 V matic looks a good bet, tried and tested with no turbo or fancy Direct injection to go wrong.

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - Brianthebubble

bazza thank you again. How would you compare the Corolla with the Avensis - would be in saloon form. I have sat in my brother's Corolla 04 estate and was impressed with the quality inside. I guess the Avensis would be a level higher, but that much higher? I have not seen much written about the Corolla saloon.

Gordonbennet - you clearly have a wealth of experience. I had read through mm707 - Why I should buy a Toyota? - which is why I brought in the Avensis. I had in fact looked at this model a while back thinking that it would give me the comfort and smooth running of the Megane but without the electrical problems. Are the petrol models 1.8 quiet at 70-80 on the motorway?

What you are saying about the Mazda level of customer service, I have read the same somewhere before, which suprised me being a Japanese company. It might be that levels of customer service in Japan are different to those outside the country.

An AA patrolman told me that they had queues of the first versions of the Renault Megane II lined up outside West London Renault because of problems with the electrics, but I thought the quality of the later models post 2006 was a different story - better built and more reliable.

My brother has a Corolla 04 estate. Did they ever produce a saloon, and if so would you say the quality is the same as the Avensis saloon.

RT - I acknowledge your point about the back seat. I will leave a sign on the back seat saying adult education teacher - nothing of non-academic value in the boot!!

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - RT
RT - I acknowledge your point about the back seat. I will leave a sign on the back seat saying adult education teacher - nothing of non-academic value in the boot!!

That's just inviting them to find out what is there - when ours was broken into they stole what they thought was a laptop bag but actually just contained maps and wildlife guides - it was returned to us, intact, a week later when it was found dumped in a nearby hedge!

It was a humorous comment - but point taken.

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - Engineer Andy

The Mazda customer care problems may (I cannot confirm this) be limited to Mazda UK - I've never had any issue with my dealership, but that's hardly representative of the rest of them. The only "issue" I had with Mazda UK was to ask them (just after I bought my car back in early 2006) why they decided to include two holes in the area surrounding the rear bumper number plate lights (a small issue - I thought it was a possible source of water ingress into the boot area which could lead to corrosion), but they fobbed me off.

I have hear of some less than flattering accounts (not corroborated) of Mazda UK being very stingy with warranty claims and goodwill, but you do for most makes, perhaps with the possible exception of Toyota and Honda. They still appear to be tops in that department - shame I don't like any of their current crop of cars at the moment.

Toyota did produce a saloon version of the 2002 - 07 Corolla, but they weren't exactly a big seller, so you may not find many about (as such, some seller may over-inflate the price if you show a particular interest). HJ gives it (as well as the hatch) a 3* rating (see his review and that of the hatch on the "Car-by-Car" reviews section [further down the list in the Toyota section]). Looks like they were quite limited in the range available. I suspect you won't find any at a Toyota dealership - probably all private sellers, minicabs (diesel version) or small independent dealerships. You can compare review with the Avensis on the same area on this website.

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - Auristocrat

Toyota still produce a saloon version of the current Corolla, but have never imported this into the UK - presumably due to the UK's preference for hatchbacks. In other European markets the Corolla saloon is sold alongside the Auris hatchback - eg. Eire, France, Germany, etc.

The same with the current Mazda 3.

Auristocrat - I have a feeling the Carolla -08 saloon was built in Turkey as was the Renault Megane saloon until 08/09. Pity they have do not have the current saloon here. With the Mazda 3, post 08, i have only seen one on the road.

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - Auristocrat

For the European market, the Corolla saloon is built in Turkey, as were the 1st generation 3 door Auris hatchbacks (the 1st generation 5 door Auris hatchback was built in the UK).

With the introduction of the 2nd generation Auris, the UK plant has been designated the European centre for all C-segment hatchback (Auris) production, with Turkey being designated the European centre for all C-segment saloon (Corolla) production.

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - Engineer Andy

Auristocrat - I have a feeling the Carolla -08 saloon was built in Turkey as was the Renault Megane saloon until 08/09. Pity they have do not have the current saloon here. With the Mazda 3, post 08, i have only seen one on the road.

Most of the Saloon Mazda3's have been from the same "1st gen pre-facelift" (04-06) batch I've got - most on sale are from that batch. Most of the 1st gen post-facelift (06-09) ones available through Mazda's website seem to be 2 ltr petrol sport models; few but varied models of the 09-10 (before it was discontinued in the UK).

You are correct in saying that the newer ones are quite rare - even with two main dealerships within 15 miles of me I've only ever seen two, and one of those in currently on sale (presumably a PX) in a Ford dealership. Seen quite a few of my type around though, although admitedly not in Ford Focus quantities!

Weird why us Brits don't like medium-sized saloons - personally they're much better looking than the hatch equivalents in the most part - when I bought my Mazda3 saloon in 2006 it was selling very well (apparently) in the US and especially Canada...

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - corax

Why I should buy a Toyota? - which is why I brought in the Avensis. I had in fact looked at this model a while back thinking that it would give me the comfort and smooth running of the Megane but without the electrical problems. Are the petrol models 1.8 quiet at 70-80 on the motorway?

The 1.8 Avensis does 3000 rpm at 70mph, a bit high for my liking but perfectly adequate and doesn't affect the good fuel economy . It is not an engine that you want to work hard, it can get boomy at high rpm - it rewards a relaxed approach. An '08 Avensis will have a good ride especially if you specify 16 in wheels. Pre '06 cars had a firmer ride.

You mention that you sit low in the Megane - you will sit much higher in an Avensis if you crank up the height adjustment.

The radio/CD system is perfectly adequate but I'm a bit more discerning so I put an aftermarket DAB head unit into mine using a facia adapter - cheap and looks good.

The autobox might have a higher top gear than the manual. Maybe Phil F would know.

Corax - yes I tend to prefer a relaxed approach to driving. When the time comes to buy, whenever that is, I wil certainly make a note of what you say re the 16 inch wheels. I parked next to a Mazda 3 hatch and was surprised the height of both the Megane and Mazda 3 was about the same. The seats looked at a similar height. Good to know in the Avensis you can sit higher up. There was also an Avensis 07 parked nearby - looked to be better made than the Mazda 3.

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - Avant

The last Renault I had was an R-reg (Laguna V6) which ran without trouble for 100,000 miles. Renault's quality control dipped severely after about 2000, and opinions seem to vary as to how much it has recovered in the last few years.

I'm sure along with the others that something Japanese and petrol-powered is best for your needs - with a big boot. If you're looking for a 2008 car it'll be out of warranty so you're unlikely to have any dealings with Toyota or Mazda UK - although I think you;re bewtter off buying for a dealer, so that you have some comeback if the car is sold with an existing fault.

Toyota Avensis, Mazda 3 or 6, Honda Accord - any of these should serve you well.

Avant, thank you for your reply. I have been told several times by mechanics that the engine in the Megane I have is a good engine. It seems from the feedback, that the Avensis saloon up to 08 would be the saloon to go for but that it might be difficult to find one at a Toyota dealership ? Could I possibly get any warranty if I saw one being advertised and do you think it could be more than one year?

As someone said above, a saloon can still be broken into, so if saloons are hard to find don't discount the idea of a hatchback. The priority is to get a good one that has been looked after and regularly serviced, ideally by a main dealer at the first owner's expense.

Some dealers will give a 3 or 6 month warranty themselves; you can buy warranties such as from Warranty Direct. The problem with used car warranties is that as a car gets older the more claims will be turned down as being due to wear and tear. You have to decide whether such a warranty is worth paying for.

Another thing to beware of is a very low mileage - this may sound attractive but the car could have been driven a few miles each day to station or shops and be more worn than one which has done an average mileage.

Avant - what would you say was a good mileage to aim for a 08 saloon. Does the Avensis have a chain camb engine?

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - bazza

If you buy a Toyota used approved, you;ll get a decent 12 month warranty.

Thank you ALL so much for the replies to date. I feel overwhelmed through posting what i thought was quite an ordinary thread, but the knowledge, experience and advice that has come through so far has been amazing.

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - gordonbennet

Before you commit yourself to anything, try and sneak a test drive in the new model Avensis, 09 on, a very comfortable relaxing place to be, economical in 1.8 guise and the auto box is extremely smooth if you should fancy one, all the attributes of the previous model bettered, be a slightly higher budget obviously.

If it wasn't for the electric handbrake a 09 on tourer would be a serious possibility for us, however thats my own line in the sand i'm not having an electic parking brake and thats that, but to be fair i'd trust Toyota to make this piece of unecessary equipment (that no one asked for and wasn't needed for any good reason) more reliable than anyone else, so don't let my predjudices put you off a very good car.

gordonbennet - I was looking around a Toyota forecourt - after hours - plenty of 09 Avensis but no previous models. As others have suggested, it might be difficult to find the earlier model at a Toyota garage.

Assuming i can get the tinyurls to work right here are two that i wouldn't hesitate in buying, first one the model you are looking at, second the later model.

First is from a Toyota main dealer.

Pug dealer selling the very low mileage new shape i used to deliver new Pugs to for many years, found them to be a very decent dealer who's customers return.

nope that one won't work, its ebay number

tinyurl.com/ak75pvy

i'd be extremely shocked if either of these cars needed anything other than normal servicing for some years

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/01/2013 at 13:08

gordonbenet - do you know if they do the Avensis Saloon in red - saw a 57 hatchback today, which looked nice - a kind of 'darkish' red.

gordonbenet - do you know if they do the Avensis Saloon in red - saw a 57 hatchback today, which looked nice - a kind of 'darkish' red.

I wouldn't know but i'd expect the fairly limited range of colours would have been available in all models.

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - Phil F.

Hi,

I have a saloon Avensis,1.8 Auto,05 registered.As has been said previously I think you would struggle to find a better overall car of this type.I find it to be everthing I want in a car,very spacious,quiet,economical,and very importantly extremely comfortable.I have travelled from one end of the country to the other and not known I have been in a car.

I have not driven a manual,if you fancy an auto I dont think there is a big fuel penalty and it is a super smooth box!

As for Toyota dealers I have used several and cannot fault them.

Cheers....Phil

Thanks Phil - I like the way you say you have travelled from one end of the country to the other and not known you had been in a car -that's the feeling I want to have.

Brian - in answer to your query further up the thread, my personal view is that if a car has averaged 8,000 - 15,000 miles a year, that's about right: not so high as to be worn out nor so low as to have done lots of short journeys.

With the Megane, I am between the two limits - but journeys do tend to be short. However, during August and September i covered the equivalent of London to Ankara on the uni run with my daughter. Will be doing something similat during February. Have just had a noisy wheel bearing replaced.Cost £73. A tooth cracked and it cost me £50 to have it temperarily filled and will cost £209 on the NHS to have a crown fitted. (£345 to have a'white' crown done privately)

Renault Megane,Toyota Avensis,Mazda 3- all saloons - Which 08 saloon? - Bobbin Threadbare

Thanks Phil - I like the way you say you have travelled from one end of the country to the other and not known you had been in a car -that's the feeling I want to have.

I just sold my petrol Mazda 6 and I did several huge journeys in that (Perth in Scotland to mid-Lancs) and it was very comfy. I commuted between 60 - 80 miles per day in it too. Never worried about customer service as it was from a small independent dealership and already 5 years old when I bought it. Economical, cheap parts and very roomy; superb stereo as well.

Looking at the Toyota Avensis saloon, Mazda 3 saloon and the Corolla saloon 08, would it be fair to put the Avensis first. If so, would the Mazda 3 saloon be above or below the Corolla saloon?

I have just had a look at the HJ's MOT section, MOT failures, the 2008 Avensis fairs worse than for other cars, in some cases a lot worse, and compare badly with the results for the Mazda 3.

I have just had a look at the HJ's MOT section, MOT failures, the 2008 Avensis fairs worse than for other cars, in some cases a lot worse, and compare badly with the results for the Mazda 3.

The MOT results for the Mazda 3 covers the period 2003 to 2008. The MOT results for the Avensis covers the period 1997 to 2008 - obviously the older Avensis' having a poorer pass rate. Factor into the equation that the Avensis is also popular as a taxi cab whereas the Mazda 3 is more of a niche model in the UK.

Bear in mind that the Avensis is simply a bigger Toyota than the Corolla (Auris from 2007); one will not be significantly more or less reliable than the other. Auristocrat provides the most likely reason for poorer results from the Avensis.

Auristocrat - I have just been back to the MOT results and looked at the 2008 Avensis and the 2008 Mazda 3. It seems that both sets of figures are for cars tested from October 2010 to September 2012 (11,457 Avensis and 9,823 Mazda 3). Looking at the results for the Avensis, there is so much 'brown' than 'green' percentages/ times worse than other 2008 cars compared to the Mazda 3, which I think only had 2 brown comments regarding the suspension.

Would not this suggest that the Mazda 3 is a more reliable car than the Toyota Avensis - have to say, I was staggered by some of the percentages - locking devises 10 times worse than average.

OR - does this confirm what you are saying in that the mileage and use covered for the Avensis, including taxis, would have been much much higher than the Mazda 3?

If it were possible to look at non-taxi use for the Avensis and then compare that with the Mazda, would you have expected similar percentages/ figures?

Difficult to say. The issue is partly clouded by the comparison being between two different market segments. Compare the Avensis with the Mazda 6 (which are competitors in the same segment) and the MOT results are more similar - as are the results for the Auris and Mazda 3.

Bit like comparing the Mazda 3 to the Yaris.

Yes. Good point!! I hadn't considered the differences in segment re MOT.