Nissan Micra - Engine hunting - adrian1

My wife has a Nissan Micra 1.2 (30K miles) which recently needed the power steering repaired. I understand this is a quite common fault with Micras. More recently the engine management light has appeared on the dashboard and the engine sometimes hunts quite badly. The problem tends to be worse immediately after a cold start. My local garage got their mobile electrician to investigate but other than putting out the dashboard light for a few days the problem persists. Any thoughts on rectifying the problem?

Nissan Micra - Engine hunting - countryroads

How old is it compared to its 30k miles? It may just need a new battery if it usually does cold starts and short trips. I just replaced the battery in my Grans 52 plate 24k miles A class Merc for the 3rd time for this reason. It kept having spurious warning lights about BAS etc because of a bad battery.

If there is a CEL on, there will also be a fault code, do you know what it is..

Nissan Micra - Engine hunting - adrian1

The car is a 56 Reg (sorry for ommission)

Nissan Micra - Engine hunting - elekie&a/c doctor

There are 2 issues with these that cause poor running.First ,is the downstream lambda sensor faulty and more worrying (and expensive) is a worn timing chain,even at at lowly 30k miles.hth