Ford Focus TDCi 53 plate - OBD2 compliant ? - daughters_with_cars

I'm just wondering of this is OBD2 compliant ? The EEC directive for diesels says "all vehicles from 2004" and all new models from Jan 2003.

Connecting my ELM327 to this , I get 'no response from ECU' using various s/w , but all works ok on my 2006 Fiesta (naturally) , and worked fine on my 2001 Focus petrol ...

Ford Focus TDCi 53 plate - OBD2 compliant ? - elekie&a/c doctor

Diesel cars of this age are unlikely to be obd compliant.I use a 2005 transit and this is non obd compliant.You need to find a code reader with older software capability.hth

Ford Focus TDCi 53 plate - OBD2 compliant ? - RT

Petrol cars had to be EOBD-compliant from 2001 model year, ie Sept 2000 onwards - diesel car compliance wasn't required until 2004 model year, ie Sept 2003.

For commercial vehicles the dates were later, 2002 for petrol and 2007 for diesel.

Cars/vans built just before those dates may well have been unsold until later.

Some brands were compliant several years before required and some brands, eg Vauxhall were electronically compliant well before the date but use a software switch in the ECU to avoid compliance until necessary.

EOBD is the compliance required in Europe, it's very similar to OBD2 but not identical. OBD and OBD2 are North American standards not applicable here.

Good code reader software can cope with both pre-compliant and post-compliant.

Edited by RT on 30/12/2012 at 13:18