GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - geoffken

Retired doing only 4000 per year.

fancy GS 450h but put off by tax £250 and tyre costs and genreal consumption of 30ish although on 400o per year obviously not a deal breaker

Should i just get CT200 for no tax /comfort and general old mannish behaviour or what!!!?

Advice and or slating for being old mannish accepted.

PS wife will probably refuse GS to ride in as she thinks 1998 C class is too big although she also thinks that new black C classes are smaller than any other colour.

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - unthrottled

With an annual mileage of only 4000 miles, a hybrid really isn't going to reach its potential and you won't recoup the extra outlay in fuel savings. Spending thousands to avoid VED doesn't really make sense.

Thanks for quick reply.

I need to change cars soon as 1998 c class is beginning to rust again!!! so was thinking that CT 200h would be cheaper to run than Gs overall but reviews re ride are not great and/but GS looks a lot of car for the money.

I would be spending approx £18,000 for either car so probably 4 year old GS or 1 year old CT .

Lexus have good reputation for reliability but who knows on newer CT.

Will obviously test drive both but fuel saving of 30 vs 50 mpg will be £300 and tax £250 so fun vs finance is the issue.

Realistically I could buy a lot of taxis for the £2000 per year in depreciation tax and extra fuel but you cannot really put a price on the convenience of your own car although my take would be around the £2500 per year mark

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - barney100
Fourteen year old Mercedes rusting? Crickey there are millions of cars don't make it to that age, bet you could get that old Merc into good condition for much less than a newer Lexus would cost.
GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - RT
Fourteen year old Mercedes rusting? Crickey there are millions of cars don't make it to that age, bet you could get that old Merc into good condition for much less than a newer Lexus would cost.

14 years is still the average age that cars are disposed of in the UK, it's been that for decades - but vast numbers of younger cars are scrapped simply because a major mechanical failure that would cost as muchto fix as the value of the car - in other words, most cars are scrapped for economic reasons, not life-expired reasons.

Very true.

Car is rusting on all four wheel arches as well as boot so respray costs of probably at least £500/700 vs value of £1000 make repairs hardly worth it.

Any other expenditure would make it uneconomic.

Have had to replace heater motor and wing mirror motor this year so £500 spent.

Beginning to look like a money pit hence advice requested

I believe that 8 years is the replacement point for the Toyota/Lexus batteries - some second-hand ones are close to that now and even a more recent one will be by the time it's sold on. They're not going to be cheap so you'd need to factor the cost of replacing them, or take the hit at trade-in time as dealers will factor that in!

I agree with Unthrottled, spending money to reduce VED is self-defeating - differences in VED only matters when all else is equal.

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - Happy Blue!
The cost considerations are irrelevant for 4,000 miles pa. As the OP said, the convenience factor is more important that pounds per mile (which in this case will be huge).

My mother stopped driving a few years ago so my father was left with two cars each at least seven years ago and neither suited him perfectly. He could have afforded a new GS450h but decided that at 75 years old he needed above all else, ease of access, short, automatic and reliable. He bought a new Daihatsu Sirion and is over the moon.

Given that over the years he has driven many interesting cars it was a surprising choice, but he was sensible and chose wisely in my opinion as he gets about far more easily than he used to.

If the OP's wife thinks a C-Class is too big, then the CT-200 is the only way and in reality a better car would be the Yaris Hybrid.
GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - Sulphur Man

Have you driven the CT200H? If you appreciate ride quality, (and 14 yrs of C-Class ownership suggest you do) then avoid. It's a got a fidgety, jiggly 'sport' ride, totally unsuited to the car. Quite why Lexus set this hybrid car, with its very modest performance, with such an inappropriate suspension, is baffling.

For your mileage and budget, I'd suggest the new Volvo V40 hatch, arguably the best compact premium model released in the last 12 months.

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - Happy Blue!
Question - why buy a CT200 if you can buy a Prius?
GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - madf

At 4k miles a year, buy the biggest petrol engine you can park..

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - skidpan

The CT200 comes a consistent last in magazine group tests. Poor ride, poor space, expensive but cheap on company car tax.

At 4000 miles a year get a petrol 3 series. People on here will hate it because its a BMW but its simply the best car in the small executive class.

Great choice! 330i sounds good.

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - gordonbennet

Happy retirement OP, me jealous, never..:-)

I love the GS450h, but its in a different league entirely, its a high performance large car that will leave a Porsche yet still return 30mpg general running in total refinement, without the need to have a tractor engine rattling away under the bonnet.

I don't get the new CT200, other than its Toyotas answer to BMW 1 series and Audi A3, its as ugly as hell at the back what were they thinking.

Given your budget could you scrape another couple of grand together and try the new latest shape Auris Hybrid, if you stick to sensible probably 16" wheels it should have a decent ride.

Another one you could consider which would have good ride would be the RX 400h.

Toyotas Hybrid batteries don't automatically need changing at 8 years, research finds a shortage of anyone who's had to renew them ever despite some serious mileages being covered they are proving remarkably reliable and durable.

Unlike most here i like the Toyota hybrid drive, a smoother more refined transmission and almost undetectable point of the engine assisting you'll struggle to find, hybrid isn't just about fuel economy its also about quiet refinement, something decidedly lacking from almost any comparable Diesel given the usual hell automated manual or other jerky gearboxes that are invariably mated to the tractor engines, MB and BMW excluded.

On the other hand if its smooth driving quiet autos you want without the fuel penalty then there's a third alternative, LPG, got two now and seriosuly doubt i'll ever be going back to Diesel.

Thanks to all posters who offered advice.

Am too old to be a BMW driver as I will wait to get out at junctions and I have never mastered the 3 blinks of an indicator to get from slip road to fast lane on moronway (OK I know it is overtaking lane).

Next steps to test drive both

Thanks again.

When it comes to bad images you don't get worse than a large car/SUV with a hybrid badge proubly emblazened onto the tail gate. Nothing screams "sanctimonious token-gesture environmentalist" more loudly.

thanks.

reported as offensive as you have never met me and simply expose your own prejudices

"Am too old to be a BMW driver as I will wait to get out at junctions"

How I hate these strerotypes that people keep repeating. I drive a BMW and drive it just like I have driven any car. Not all BMW drivers are t*****s.

As for a car with a duracell under the back seat being environmentally friendly that is a joke. Reality check, its got a 4 litre (or possibly bigger) engine under the bonnet.

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - countryroads

Tto put it in perspective, the official MPG of the GS Hybrid is 36mpg....well a Mercedes E350CGi is only 32mpg! A tiny difference frankly for all that Hybrid nonsense, unless you are regularly in London that is.

The CT200h is truly unpleasant to drive, awful ride, noisy, tinny and not worthy of the Lexus brand quite frankly. If thats what you want, get a Prius and save some cash.

If a Lexus is what you fancy however, surely the IS250 is worth a look..33mpg, not large and very refined.

Offensive? Lighten up (and read your own posts). You enjoy hackneyed charicatures-so do I .

I admire what hybrids can do. However, they are ill-suited to your type of driving and would be an expensive token gesture. It's your money, spend it as you wish.

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - 72 dudes

If you absolutely have to have the GS450h or CT200h, then after driving both you will pick the GS - there's no comparison.

As others have said, there's so many other good cars around at £18k. As someone else suggested, you can get a very good IS250 petrol which for your annual mileage has everything you want without the Hybrid technology.

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - jamie745

If you want to spend that much on a car for only 4,000 miles a year then go for it, but don't kid yourself into thinking its low tax band and good economy makes the outlay worth it. It doesn't. If you love the car then thats a good enough reason to spend anything on anything.

If it was me I'd be banking most of the £18k and be buying an older Jaguar XK.

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - thunderbird

Am I missing the point with hybrids.

They use a normal petrol engine and a battery of some description that charges while you are driving. In town you can use a full battery to drive about 15 miles if you are lucky and don't want to accelerate quickly or go much above 20 mph. Once out of town you have a normal petrol engine and inefficient CVT gearbox that gets suplemented by the battery if you want a bit more go (a CVT and a bit more go are not words that are normally used together).

Thus at 70 mph a CT200H is using just as much petrol as any 2 litre petrol.

And at 70 mph a 4.5 litre GS450H is using just as much petrol as any 4.5 litre petrol.

And they are more complicated than a standard petrol.

And the batteries don't last forever.

As I said, am I missing the point.

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - 72 dudes

Am I missing the point with hybrids.

They use a normal petrol engine and a battery of some description that charges while you are driving. In town you can use a full battery to drive about 15 miles if you are lucky and don't want to accelerate quickly or go much above 20 mph. Once out of town you have a normal petrol engine and inefficient CVT gearbox that gets suplemented by the battery if you want a bit more go (a CVT and a bit more go are not words that are normally used together).

Thus at 70 mph a CT200H is using just as much petrol as any 2 litre petrol.

And at 70 mph a 4.5 litre GS450H is using just as much petrol as any 4.5 litre petrol.

And they are more complicated than a standard petrol.

And the batteries don't last forever.

No, but the man wants one!

You're not missing the point at all - all taxis and delivery vans should be hybrids - they work very well in stop-start situations, but badly in open road scenarios.

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - Falkirk Bairn

IS250 V6 petrol - magic (not F-sport)

GS250 if you want a bigger car - same engine as IS 250

4k per year - mpg is not that big an issue

all taxis and delivery vans should be hybrids

Correct. But they run stop-start all day long. If you're only doing 4000 miles p.a. I would assume that the average journey is very short. I don't see a hybrid being much use when the engine is pretty much stone cold-if lawnmower syndrome is to be avoided. If the car is to be used for longer but infrequent journeys, the self-discharge of the battery will erode the advantage.

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - Avant

Agreed - Thunderbird and others aren't missing the point. Hybrids are at their best in town, so if you live in a big town or city and seldom venture on motorways, one might suit you well, and you can at least use it on a long trip, unlike a pure electric car. Even if that were my type of driving, I'd have a Prius in preference to a Nissan Leaf any day.

Geoffken - you might like to try a Prius or Prius Plus and find that it can do anything that either of the Lexuses you mentioned can do. Or even an Auris hybrid (same mechanicals) if your wife wants a size smaller.

Hybrids are at their best in town, so if you live in a big town or city and seldom venture on motorways, one might suit you well

But surely if you only use a Hybrid in town the battery will discharge after a few miles and then have to revert to the petrol engine to drive the car and charge the battery. At that point you have an ordinary 2 litre or 4.5 litre petrol car but one that is driving a huge alternator that must be using even more power to charge the batteries.

Its lost on me.

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - Avant

"But surely if you only use a Hybrid in town the battery will discharge after a few miles and then have to revert to the petrol engine to drive the car and charge the battery."

It's not quite as bad as that: the battery regenerates as you drive, I think mainly when slowing down - although no doubt one of our experts can explain that better!

"But surely if you only use a Hybrid in town the battery will discharge after a few miles and then have to revert to the petrol engine to drive the car and charge the battery."

It's not quite as bad as that: the battery regenerates as you drive, I think mainly when slowing down - although no doubt one of our experts can explain that better!

I'm not an expert but hybrids use "regenerative braking" - I guess the circuitry of the electric motor is switched round so that it becomes a generator - this is an old concept, Renault used a combined dynamo/starter on some of it's models in the '50s.

Hyundai-Kia use a smart alternator on some of their models - it charges the battery moreon the engine over-run, to absorb vehicle speed, and stops charging at high/full throttle openings - it's not a lot but it does save a little fuel.

Edited by RT on 30/12/2012 at 13:26

a smart alternator on some of their models - it charges the battery moreon the engine over-run,

As appealing as this idea is in principle, the reality isn't quite as rosy. Most batteries do not like fast charging and battery lifetime falls rapidly when a powerful alternator pumps a large current into the battery.

For short journeys, I don't see why it would be beneficial to switch the engine on and off. For a cold engine, rejected heat isn't really 'wasted', because it provides cabin heat and warms the engine. I find it takes about 2-3 miles to bring the coolant up to operating temperature, and the oil temp lags way behind. I think that for a 4000 mille annual mileage you have to be realistic about the suitability of hybrid technology.

a smart alternator on some of their models - it charges the battery moreon the engine over-run,

As appealing as this idea is in principle, the reality isn't quite as rosy. Most batteries do not like fast charging and battery lifetime falls rapidly when a powerful alternator pumps a large current into the battery.

It's only a 130A alternator on a 2.2 diesel - many European cars have a 150A alternator on a 1.9 diesel - so less fast charge than many anyway.

Yes, but most of that amperage would be used to supply high drain electrical loads directly.

Trickle chargers take 8+ hours to charge a lead acid battery for a reason-and the reason is not that the mains can't supply enough electrical power!

Trickle chargers take 8+ hours to charge a lead acid battery for a reason-and the reason is not that the mains can't supply enough electrical power!

Yes - the reason is that trickle chargers are dumb, they continue "overcharging" a battery once it's fully charged so have to be charge-limited to avoid excessive gassing of the electrolyte.

During the start-up cycle, car batteries discharge at 400A or more for very short periods - once the engine is running, there may be very low electrical load, in summer for instance, and almost all of the alternator's rated output will be used to recharge the battery - but this will take a very short time, eg seconds, before the alternator circuitry senses the battery approaching full capacity and cuts the output.

Alternators are "smart" like smart chargers but mostly not as smart as Hyundai-Kia !

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - oldtoffee

>>>>"Am too old to be a BMW driver as I will wait to get out at junctions"

I think BMW drivers still claim preferential rights over the outside lane but the citizens motoring charter now dictates that it is Audi drivers who shall be delayed at every opportunity from charging around and cutting up everyone in the course of going about their self important business and must whenever possible not be let out at junctions.

A 330i as suggested above would IMO be a terrific retirement car. No turbo, dpf, dmf, batteries. That engine <drools> Or a Prius <yawns> if you want to advertise your retirement.

Edited by oldtoffee on 30/12/2012 at 11:01

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - Collos25

My son has a newish 330i Alpina boy is it fast but petrol at 163 cents a litre you need a lot of money to enjoy its full potential over 300kmh is its top speed and its not the fastest model,old people like me do have BMWs (mine is 316i) or is 65 not old .

Isn't the answer to just drive more even if you don't need to? Take the scenic route places, to prevent the car suffering the downside of short journies?

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - gordonbennet

Isn't the answer to just drive more even if you don't need to? Take the scenic route places, to prevent the car suffering the downside of short journies?

Yes, thats how you run a super efficient modern Diesel.

You cover 100 miles a week for yourself, but then have to drive nowhere for another 100 miles to keep the DPF happy.

The irony is sublime.

'But I'm getting 57mpg!!'

GS 450h or CT200H - Lexus Heart or Head - Cluedo
Back to the OP.
I would go for the GS. You are now retired and have earned a bit of luxury in your life. Having driven the GS450h, it is a supremely refined car and built as well as any car on the market today.
It will be very reliable and you will be looked after by your Lexus dealer very well if you use them. They may be more expensive than an independent but I would use them to maintain your car as they continue to excel in customer satisfaction ratings.
I think you should treat yourself and go with your heart and get the GS. You will enjoy it much more than than the small CT.
Yes you can do all the sums and maybe come up with a Golf diesel or BMW or Auris hybrid but you asked between 2 cars so go for the one you would enjoy the most and in my view that would be the GS.