Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - EnquiringMinds

Absolutely mortified! just got my driving licence and went out practicing today only to discover my mum had not yet transferred my name re:insurance & the car was seized and I was told I would get 6 points on my licence resulting in it being revoked. I have already presented all my documentation at the police station but now what is left is this issue of the licence possibly being revoked.

Is there any way at all around this & is it worth going to court instead of just paying the fine?

Edited by EnquiringMinds on 18/12/2012 at 18:33

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - a900ss
Sorry to hear this but driving a car is a great responsibility and you can't rely on your mum to do things for you anymore.

I can't see any way that you won't lose your licence under the 6 point/new driver rule.

Best of luck.
Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - skidpan

only to discover my mum had not yet transferred my name re:insurance & the car was seized

Just like Police - Stop - Idiot on the TV, always someone elses fault.

There is no way out of this, but hopefully you will learn a valuable (and expensive) lesson.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - injection doc

ouch ouch ouch Thats going to be a very expensive lesson to of learned for a very long time !if you can even get insured when you get your licence back.

I know a young girl that has just suffered similar event and the cheapest insurance was 9K and most wouldnt touch a 17 year old who has already been done for no insurance !

Time to take responisbility and awake to the reality of life and take life seriously !

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - mss1tw

Did they pull you over? Might be worth trying to get it over-turned on a technicality.

Unlike some of the sanctimonius posters on this thread I appreciate the fact mistakes (Yours and your mother's in this case) can happen.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - RT

I suggest you get legal representation and get them to make an appropriate plea of mitigation on your behalf.

I do think that the points and loss of your licence are the least of your problems - insurers intensely dislike uninsured drivers, which is silly for those trying to get their lives back on track and get proper insurance !

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - a900ss

Did they pull you over? Might be worth trying to get it over-turned on a technicality.

Unlike some of the sanctimonius posters on this thread I appreciate the fact mistakes (Yours and your mother's in this case) can happen.

That's right, try to get it turned over on a technicality. Thoughts like that make me lose faith in society. He/She broke the law fair and square and now must pay for their misgivings. If they had driven into your pride and joy with no insurance, would you be so forgiving then? Do you enjoy paying higher insurance premiums to compensate for the uninsured. We ALL have responsibility to society, we should take our responsibilities seriously. I do not consider myself sanctimonious but I do like to think I know right from wrong and when I do wrong I have to deal with the consequences.
Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - skidpan

This makes my blood boil. Break the law and then hope you can get off becuase someone else made an error.

Abide by the laws like 99.9% of us and you don't need to rely on mstakes made by other to get off.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - mss1tw

This makes my blood boil. Break the law and then hope you can get off becuase someone else made an error.

Abide by the laws like 99.9% of us and you don't need to rely on mstakes made by other to get off.

Well I just hope you two remain fault-less paragons of perfection, and therefore never encounter the OP's dilemma.

Well I just hope you two remain fault-less paragons of perfection, and therefore never encounter the OP's dilemma.

Who said I was a fault-less paragon of perfection? If you read what I wrote it is suggesting that if you do something wrong and get caught, you take the penalty, not try and wriggle out of it. I also wish him/her the best of luck in the situation they now find themselves in.

Edited by a900ss on 19/12/2012 at 16:48

Who said I was a fault-less paragon of perfection? If you read what I wrote it is suggesting that if you do something wrong and get caught, you take the penalty, not try and wriggle out of it. I also wish him/her the best of luck in the situation they now find themselves in.

Meanwhile, in reality, I would damn well try and get it over-turned, and suggest the OP does too.

Unless you passed your test after 1997, you would never have had to concern yourself with this situation, as you would have gotten a full points allocation to start with, and this offence carries a penatly of 6 - 8 points.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - RT
Unless you passed your test after 1997, you would never have had to concern yourself with this situation, as you would have gotten a full points allocation to start with, and this offence carries a penatly of 6 - 8 points.

As everyone gets the full points allocation after 2 years, this 6-point ban now only affects anyone passing their test after December 2010.

For the OP, there is life after such a ban - number one son did something similar in the late '90s and then had to serve a drink-drive ban on top - but he learnt his lesson the very hard, very expensive way and has a 10-year clean licence and pays normal insurance now.

You'll need the support of family and friends, even if some of it is even more righteous than this forum - take all the support you can get.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - unthrottled

but he learnt his lesson the very hard, very expensive way and has a 10-year clean licence and pays normal insurance now.

Sound advice. I think a period of disqualification is a fair penalty for driving without insurance-after all there does have to be a disincentive.

But heavily loading subsequent insurance premiums is counter-productive and unfair. You can't complain that people don't go straight if you make it next to impossible to do so!

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - Avant

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry people haven't been more sympathetic to what sounds like an honest mistake. What were you doing to get stopped by the police in the first place?

It may be worth getting some advice from a lawyer or at least someone who has experience of how magistrates might treat this if you went to court. A sympathetic magistrate might accept that there were mitigating circumstances if you genuinely believed that you were insured to drive the car under your mum's policy. They won't be sympathetic, of course, if you were committing another offence which caused you to get stopped.

I googled 'driving without insurance' and the first website I saw offers free consultation and discusses 'special reasons'.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - thunderbird

A sympathetic magistrate might accept that there were mitigating circumstances if you genuinely believed that you were insured to drive the car under your mum's policy. .

Go to court and make excuses (blaming your mother for not insuring the car for instance) and any sensible magistrate will hopefully increase the penalty.

Accept you have broken the law and accept whatever they decide to do with you and move on.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - KenC

Driving Uninsured is on of the more serious driving offences,

so there very few ( as you would expect) statutory defences.

I doubt that these circumstances would convince any magistrates that the

driver is "Not Guilty ",

however anything is worth a try as a Conviction will store up future insurance

problems for 5 years or more.

If you build up 6 or more penalty points within 2 years of passing your first driving

test you will automatically lose your driving licence.

1. You will have to re-apply for a new provisional driving licence

2.You will have to re- take the theory test, then within 2 years

3.You will have to re take your practical driving test

I believe a no insurance conviction carrys a minimum of 6 points

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - dieseldogg

I also wonder how this came to the Polices attention?

OK could have been an ANPR camera but?

However I too was once cautioned for driving whilst uninsured.

Shortly after re-newing my insurance on the phone with the AA.

Paid by credit card, job done ( I can still remember it was on a Thursday at about 17:00)

Anyway a while later a twerp drove into the back of me at the Lodge Road roundabout.

He offered to square up privately, I said fair enough but I am for phoning the Police, which i duly did, I then accompanied him the short distance to the Police Station to get the matter recorded when the Police declined to attend the scene.

I was then asked for insurance details, I said I am with the AA but have not got the ins. docs/cert yet.

When I phoned to enquire the AA denied all knowledge.

I had great difficulty in convincing the Polis that I would not have been so stupid/barefaced as to march into a Police station, to report being involved in a RTA........whilst knowingly uninsured.

The wee bism of a WPC sure made me sweat that one.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - Engineer Andy

An ex-colleague of mine didn't put his son on his car's insurance policy and suffered the same issue (though I'm not sure why the son was stopped), but the father WAS ALSO (this was about 11 years ago) given 6pts as well for allowing an uninsured person to drive their car. I wonder whether this is still the case - worth finding out!

I also wonder how this came to the Polices attention?

OK could have been an ANPR camera

Doubt it, the ANPR would have seen the vehicle as insurred since the OP's mother had insurance (presumably) and the ANPR cannot see who is driving.

With regards to the Police having problems finding if cars are really insurred or not it happened to me once. Bought a brand spanking car, 3 hours after collecting it a muppet ran into the back of me at traffic lights. He got all aggressive threatening me and refusing to give me his details so called the Police. Police arrived and took details. They could not find my insurance details but did accept that it could not have been registered in my name without insurance, a call to Aviva sorted that but it wasted 2 hours of my afternoon.

It can takes weeks, in the worst cases, for the database used by ANPR to be updated by insurance companies but in all legitimate cases a phone call to the insurance company should provide the necessary information for the police.

I always carry the cover note with me, even though these days it means printing it out online yourself as few insurers now send them out.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - unthrottled

I am glad that some slightly more nuanced responses are appearing. There are often honest oversights that can lead to someone to drive uninsured quite unwittingly.

A friend of mine drove for a whole year without insurance because one year his insurance company (whom he had been with for a many years) didn't automatically renew his premium one year. He only found out when he started looking for cheaper quotes following a chance conversation with friends.

Yes, it is the driver's responsiblility to check that they are adequately insured and not make assumptions, but you're supposed to check that your tyres are correctly inflated prior to every journey. How many people do that? They should have their cars crushed, and have their foreheads branded with the letter 'F" for flat tyre etc etc.

Sadly, there is an increasing tendency for 'zero tolerence' because it sounds tough and uncompromising. I'd rather people were given a second chance. The serial offenders will soon reappear before the beak whereupon they can have the book thrown at them very hard.

All these publicity stunts of seizing and crushing cars leave a bad taste in my mouth. They're designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator and look good on commercial television.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - Dwight Van Driver

Unfortunately the offence of using/permitting No Insurance is an absolute offence and mens rea not required.

In this case the beaks will be presented with fait accomplie and as such convict. They may listen to mitigation plea but from what said doubtful if special reasonsl apply..

Penalty points for No Insurance is between 6 -8 points and as such if driver has only passed his first test in last 2 years then Licence will be automatically revoked and he will then have to start all over again.

dvd

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - Armitage Shanks {p}

Inadvertently uninsured driver inadvertently runs over and kills mother and child on a zebra crossing, say. Second chance, no thanks.

Inadvertently uninsured driver inadvertently runs over and kills mother and child on a zebra crossing, say. Second chance, no thanks.

+1

What would happen if the uninsured driver was given a second chance and killed someone several weeks later, imagine the public outcry. Would the do gooders who proposed this "second chance" idea be prpared to stand up and defend the driver.

the uninsured driver was given a second chance and killed someone several weeks later, imagine the public outcry

The mother wouldn't be able to claim for the accident that wasn't her fault!

This a is just another emotiive "won't somebody please think of the children" argument of the sort that you often see on very low-brow news programmes on ITV.

Insurance cover guarantees your ability to cover the financial cost of your driving. It doesn't imply that you're less likely to maim or kill someone whilst you drive.

Correctly insured driver - inadvertently runs over and kills mother and child on a zebra crossing, say.

It's the driving that's the problem - not the lack of insurance - mother and child are dead either way.

Ah, the Helen Lovejoy argument, last resort for those out of worthwhile points!

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - dieseldogg

I suspect that the origional poster may have "spun" his account a trifle

(i) What are the likelyhood of getting stopped by the Polis, unless doing sommat a trifle attention getting?? Like what?

(ii) Did he even let his mother know he was "borrowing" the car, or is he a "twocker"

(iii) What does "practising" mean?

Life is tough, and as someone else has helpfully pointed out on another forum.............................. "it's tougher when you're stupid"

Edited by dieseldogg on 20/12/2012 at 15:36

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - Bobbin Threadbare

Life is tough, and as someone else has helpfully pointed out on another forum.............................. "it's tougher when you're stupid"

Love it! I might use that quote at school...!

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - brum

What I find so amusing about the back room are the collection of santamonious tosspots who tediously spout their Judge Dredd opinions ad nauseum and who probably in reality break the law regularly and deliberately.

The OP asked for help, but what he got was the Mexican drug cartel hit squad...

What a sad lot you backroomers are.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - madf

What I find so amusing about the back room are the collection of santamonious tosspots who tediously spout their Judge Dredd opinions ad nauseum and who probably in reality break the law regularly and deliberately.

The OP asked for help, but what he got was the Mexican drug cartel hit squad...

What a sad lot you backroomers are.

What a sanctimnonious and nasty reply full of opinion and cant and making unproven assertions...

As the poster is a member of the Backroom, I hope they incluude themselves as a "sad lot".

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - brum

What a sanctimnonious and nasty reply full of opinion and cant and making unproven assertions...

As the poster is a member of the Backroom, I hope they incluude themselves as a "sad lot".

Yes, I most certainly do include myself !! I often ask myself WTF I am doing here on the internet? And I can't escape the inescapable - I must be a sad fokker with nothing better to do.

My New Years Resolution is to give up frequenting places like this - to get a better life (that doesnt mean watching more TV) - and to generally be nicer to others - with the possible exception of certain individuals!

If anyone takes offence at my remarks, then tough, remember its almost Christmas and tomorrow the world may end.....Proof of disregard for the law by back roomers is in abundance on searching previous threads on this board.....

Goodnight and God Bless......x x x x ;)

Edited by brum on 20/12/2012 at 17:53

Yes, indeed Brum

but we endevour not to get caught!

PS

Bobbin

He also said

"Ye cant fix stupid"

Oh my oh my

PPS

Bah Humbug

PPPS

I am going out (if the Myans were correct) on a full stomach and and empty testicles.

Edited by dieseldogg on 20/12/2012 at 20:45

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - Armitage Shanks {p}

Another OP who seems to have wound us up and disappeared! Probably didn't like the answers he got!

Another OP who seems to have wound us up and disappeared! Probably didn't like the answers he got!

I don't think anyone should be surprised that they didn't get back to us.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - madf

Anyone who gets wound up on a forum needs to acquire a sense of perspective .... and a life..

(I have survived over a decade here - rhino hide?)

"Another OP who seems to have wound us up and disappeared! Probably didn't like the answers he got"

There are 2 options, the OP is a Troll and has achieved his sole aim by getting other forum users wound up or he is a genuine poster who has just not had time to reply.

Since its the season of goodwill I am prepared to think the second option until its proven to be the first option.

As a futher jesture of goodwill I am prepared to reconsider my previous opinions and would like to offer the following advice.

Mr EnquiringMinds, don't worry, you will be fine, how is it your fault that your mother did not insure the car and keep you informed about the current status of this.

Whatever the reason was for the police stopping you in the first place was probably very minor, the Police try and stop as many people as they can this time of year to meet their targets.

Go to court and tell the Magistrate this and he will understand, he will probably give the Police officers a good lecture for stopping you, Magistrates hate their time being wasted by the Police.

Once you have done this the chances of any points or a fine will be zero, you will be allowed to carry on your driving career uninterupted with a clean licence.

Have a happy christmas and stop worrying, what can go wrong.

Humbug

;0)
Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - 72 dudes

LMAO - as the young people say.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - thunderbird

LMAO - as the young people say.

But I am not young and don't understand.

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - bathtub tom

bit.ly/tUaC0i

Ford Fiesta - Possibility of new driving licence being revoked! Please help! - Avant

Has anyone got any more constructive advice for the original poster? If not, I'll lock the thread.

Has anyone got any more constructive advice for the original poster? If not, I'll lock the thread.

What cosnstructive advice do you want us to give the OP.

You are going to loose your licence.

You are going to get fined.

Your mother will get a fine and points if she knew you were driving the car.

You are going to have to start from scratch once you get your licence back.

You will have to pay a huge premium when you take out insurance in the future.

One question for the OP, why don't you post again telling us the whole facts about why you wre stopped in the first place..

Or are you just a Troll as suggested above.