Lancia Beta Coupe (1981) - Diesel in a carburator petrol engine. - Air_Hair_Lair

I have possibly been an idiot and put in diesel to my carb based petrol engine (if so it would be about 40/60 diesel/petrol). The reason I think this is the car was running fine, put in fuel... drove 300 yards and it coughed and spluttered its way to where I was able to pull it over. I checked dizzy and sparks on the spot and they all seemed fine, so I am assuming I probably put diesel in the engine.

I've left the car where it is, and was thinking about syphoning out any fuel in the tank replacing it with petrol, and seeing if it will run through. Has anyone got any advice on the matter? Either to tell me to go ahead with it, or to definitely not do it!

Cheers

Edited by Air_Hair_Lair on 17/12/2012 at 09:38

Lancia Beta Coupe (1981) - Diesel in a carburator petrol engine. - Collos25

Drain the tank and the fuel lines fill with petrol and no harm will have been done the diesel will not have damaged anything.

I am surprised a Beta is still running I had one many years ago they seem to disolve in water I have never seen so much rust on a car.

Lancia Beta Coupe (1981) - Diesel in a carburator petrol engine. - Air_Hair_Lair

Half the time I am surprised it's running! Thanks for your advice, I will get myself the equipment together and try and drain it all out.

Lancia Beta Coupe (1981) - Diesel in a carburator petrol engine. - gordonbennet

As above, and don't dispose of the mixed fuel, gradually use it up by putting a gallon or so in every time you fill up over the next few months.

Lancia Beta Coupe (1981) - Diesel in a carburator petrol engine. - dieselnut

If the engine won't start after you fill with petrol you will have to remove the carb & blow through the jets. Diesel doesn't vaporise like petrol & is much more viscus.

I thought this might be the case. If it does start I assume there is a good chance the petrol will help the remaining Diesel pass through, or would it sit in the jets stagnant?

Lancia Beta Coupe (1981) - Diesel in a carburator petrol engine. - piggy

Lovely cars...in their time. I had one of these in the early eighties. Went on to 120k (quite respectable in those days) until the head gasket went and ruined the engine. By then the dreaded tin-worm was taking it`s toll.I ended up selling it for scrap. Well ahead dynamically of the Ford and Vauxhall offerings.

Lancia Beta Coupe (1981) - Diesel in a carburator petrol engine. - bathtub tom

>> I am assuming I probably put diesel in the engine.

You could be leading yourself up the garden path. The cause could be any number of reasons. Can you find the receipt, or any other proof of what you actually put in the tank?

Receipt only shows the value paid unfortunately. And you're right I could be, all I can do is take off the air filter and get my nose in there and see what I can smell. What made me assume is it occurred the moment I drove away from the petrol station... which could be coincidence, but I figured it's one logical place to start by filtering it all out. And being sure of what is in the tank from here on. I went through a huge debate in my head over "did I, didn't I" trying to remember what I put in, but as I was chatting away with someone at the time I hold my hands and could have easily done it.

Lancia Beta Coupe (1981) - Diesel in a carburator petrol engine. - gordonbennet

Sniffing alone won't do it, Diesel doesn't smell like it used to.

I've had Diesel in a jerry can previously used for petrol and you really couldn't be too sure which was which (ended up with a spoonful in a saucer and a thrown match), almost half and half mixture i reckon a bloodhound wouldn't tell by smell alone.

One sure way would be to drain the carb and after cleaning the jets out refill it with petrol, OK you'll only get a couple of minutes running till the carb empties but should confirm the problem once the pump puts the tank mixture through.

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/12/2012 at 13:51